Chapter 17- Voice on the Mountain

The snow. Noelle's boots were tactical boots that she had gotten at the Jedi Temple, and thankfully, they could withstand like five feet of snow, even though Noelle suspected that it was probably more than that. They had been trudging uphill in the snow for about eight hours now- all morning. Everyone, not just Noelle, was struggling to keep their balance while walking.

Except Legolas, Noelle thought with a groan. That Elf could walk on the snow for crying out loud! She had been using the Force to keep her balance.

"You guys ok back there?" she called over her shoulder to the hobbits and everyone else. Noelle was leading the way right behind Gandalf.

No answer.

Noelle and Gandalf turned around.

Aragorn and Frodo, who were in the rear, were staring at Boromir, whose back was to the rest of them. He seemed to be gazing at something in his hand. Noelle's eyes widened in realization. Boromir was holding the Ring. Noelle's hand went immediately to her sword and she began to move towards him before she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"Wait," Gandalf commanded.

Noelle stopped.

"Boromir!" Aragorn shouted. "Give the Ring to Frodo."

Boromir slowly handed the Ring over to Frodo, then ruffled his hair, trying to ease the tension. But it didn't get rid of the uneasy feeling Noelle had in her mind about him. Ever since the Council, Boromir had taken a special interest in the Ring, and the Ring, if Noelle was guessing correctly, was going to try and use him to Its advantage. It had already tried to use her and failed. Best to keep a close eye on him, Noelle decided.

~~~~~~

A gust of snowy wind blew into Noelle's face. Ugh. It had to be WAY below freezing in this blizzard, miles high on the pass of Caradhras. Huddling next to Gandalf, she wrapped Ahsoka's cloak tighter around her body and watched Legolas walk past her in annoyance. It was hard not to be jealous.

Gandalf plowed through the eight feet of snow with his staff. Behind Noelle, Aragorn carried Sam and Frodo, while Boromir held Merry and Pippin. The hobbits would have suffocated under the snow otherwise. In the back, Gimli tried his best to get Bill the pony to cooperate.

Suddenly, she heard a voice echoing. Was it the Force?

"Does anybody hear that?" she screamed over the wind.

"WHAT LASS?" Gimli shouted from the back.

Legolas, who was up at the front of the group, was the only one listening. "There is a fell voice on the air!" he cried.

What?

"It's Saruman!" Gandalf screamed.

CRACK!!!

Chunks of rock fell from above their heads. Everyone moved out of the way.

"He's trying to bring down the mountain!" Aragorn hollered. "Gandalf! We must turn back!"

"No!" Gandalf screamed back.

Aragorn was right. This was getting dangerous. Maybe they would be better off taking their chances near the Gap of Rohan... or Moria.

"Gandalf! He's right! This is foolishness, not perseverance!" Noelle yelled, grabbing Gandalf's arm, trying emphasize her worry.

"NO!" Gandalf screamed again.

Noelle stopped back in surprise at his forcefulness. Gandalf gave her a look that said "don't mention this again," and stepped up out of the snow ditch.