Chapter 5- The Journey Begins

"What are we supposed to do, Gandalf!" It had taken Noelle quite a long time to digest this new information. "For starters, I'm not sure why you didn't tell me all this sooner, and you said you wanted my help! I'm telling you right now: I can NOT touch that Ring."

"No, you cannot," Gandalf agreed quietly. "The Ring corrupts. Should someone as powerful as me, or even you wield it... you would become a terrible power to be feared."

"That's not a good thing," Noelle concluded.

"No it's not."

Noelle looked at the ground. "Well, what do you need me to do?"

"I need you to accompany Frodo. Protect him and the Ring with your life."

For a moment, Noelle hesitated to answer him. Protect them with my life? What exactly are we up against? But she just nodded. "I will. Just outta curiosity, are youplanning on coming with us?"

"No, not yet. I must go to the head of my Order, Saruman, for counsel on what to do with the Ring. Then I will catch up with you. The Ring cannot stay in the Shire, Noelle. They are coming here."

Noelle took a deep breath. "I'll do everything I can."

She decided to help Frodo pack clothes and food. Literally the only belongings she owned were her own clothes and her sword. She decided to change back into her Mandalorian clothes with pants. Literally everything Bilbo had had made for her were dresses, and she wasn't wearing those. If she was going on another adventure, she wanted to be somewhat comfortable.

When she came back into the living room wearing her old clothes, Gandalf was helping Frodo pack.

"Where do we go?" Frodo was asking Gandalf.

"Get out of the Shire. Make for the village of Bree."

"Where's that?" Noelle asked. "I don't remember ever seeing Bree on maps."

"It's right outside the Old Forest, off the East-West road," Gandalf answered. "I'll be waiting for you at the Inn of the Prancing Pony."

"And the Ring'll be safe there?" Frodo asked.

"I don't know, Frodo. I don't have any answers," Gandalf replied quietly. "I must see the head of my Order. He is both wise and powerful- trust me, Frodo. He'll know what to do. You'll have to leave the name of Baggins behind you. That name is not safe outside the Shire. Travel only by day, and stay off the road."

Noelle nodded. "Shouldn't be a problem. We can cut across country," she suggested.

"Good," said Gandalf. "Besides, Frodo. You'll have Noelle with you. She'll keep you safe." Gandalf winked at her.

Noelle felt her stomach turn for a second, because Gandalf also gave her another look that said: Don't fail me.

Suddenly they heard a rustle from outside the window near Bilbo's study.

"Get down," Gandalf said to Frodo.

Noelle put her hand on her sword by her hip. Gandalf pointed his staff at the window and slowly inched over to it. Noelle could see something moving in the bushes. Maybe it was just a cat? Then Gandalf shoved the tip of his staff into the bush, which was followed by a loud cry of pain.

Frodo stood up as Gandalf reached into the bushes, pulled out a hobbit, and slammed him onto Bilbo's desk.

"CONFOUND IT, OLD SAMWISE GAMGEE!!! Have you been eavesdropping!?" he screamed at the terrified hobbit.

"Gandalf! Calm down!" Noelle went over to Gandalf's side.

"I haven't been dropping no eaves, Sir. Honest!" Sam explained hurriedly. "I was just cutting the grass under the window there, if you follow me."