Chapter 11- Failure

"He is the key to everything." Said a voice that Noelle had hoped she would never have to hear again.

What was going on?

She no longer saw five Nazgûl blades being pointed at her and the hobbits' faces, but the gleaming yellow eyes of Darth Maul. They were the only thing besides his red skin, that stood out against the darkened throne room in Mandalore.

"What are you talking about?!" she cried to him.

"Anakin Skywalker," whispered a female voice to Noelle's right. "What do you want with him?" Ahsoka's voice trembled as she asked the question.

"He is the key to everything," Maul repeated.

_____________________________

Noelle's eyes shot open.

She was huddled on the ground in the middle of the stone courtyard. Instead of the voices from her past, she heard screaming. It was Frodo crying out in pain.

Oh no...

"Frodo!!!!" Noelle cried.

Frodo was laying on the ground about ten feet away and Sam held his hand. Noelle crawled over to them.

"Help him, Miss Noelle!" Sam gasped.

"I-" Noelle took a deep breath, trying to stop her short panicky breaths that were coming out. Where were the Nazgûl?

Suddenly Strider leapt out of nowhere with his sword in one hand and a torch blazing in the other.

Noelle turned her attention back to Frodo and Sam. Frodo was clutching his left shoulder and his face was contorted in pain. She knew the worst had happened.

Well, almost the worst.

"What happened?" she whispered.

"The Black Rider stabbed him," Sam said, his voice breaking. "Please help him."

"I-I don't know what to do..." Noelle's voice came out trembling.She had failed. Failed to protect Frodo. Failed the one person. The one mission Gandalf had entrusted her. All because of some stupid vision that she didn't understand.

Why this had happened right now, Noelle didn't know.

At the moment, Strider was clashing blades with the Riders. For a second, he caught Noelle's gaze, but she was too distraught to help him.

Strider lit one of the Nazgûl on fire with the torch, and it took off screaming. He ducked the blade from another Nazgûl and lit a second one on fire.

"Noelle!" Sam cried, snapping her attention away from Strider.

"I-I don't know what to do, Sam I-"

The last of the Nazgûl gave a blood-curdling screech and headed for the hills after Strider threw the torch at its face. Strider sheathed his sword and ran over to them. Noelle was still in a daze. Her head was spinning.

"What have I done-" she whispered, covering her face with her hands. Right now the only thing she could manage to feel was guilt.

"STRIDER!!!" Sam hollered.

Strider gave Noelle a concerned glance, but didn't ask questions. His attention was immediately on Frodo.

"Help him, Strider!" Sam pleaded.

Noelle couldn't believe this as happening. She had failed. That was all she knew. Gandalf would be so disappointed. She couldn't even help Frodo get the Ring to Rivendell. She couldn't protect him from the Nazgûl. And she couldn't even help Frodo after he had been stabbed on her account.