Chapter 7: Chemo

Stella Knight

A week has passed, and tomorrow I have my chemo appointment. I've been working at the bakery for a few days now, and everyone seems nice, so far. Things with Xan are going great. I'm still not sure how to tell him I have cancer though.

Every day since I've started my job, after Xander has finished football practice, he walks to the bakery. He always orders a cupcake I make in a batch, and winks at me every chance he gets. Mr. Stanley finds it cute, but what surprised me is that he knows about Xander and I.

Currently, Xander and I are cuddling on my bed watching 'Criminal Minds.' I know the show is over, but there is nothing wrong with re-watching the show over and over again. "If only Dr. Spencer Reid was a real person and not a character in a show." I say then sigh. Xander tightened his arms around me, "Seriously baby? Why?" Xander asks, and he sounds a little jealous. I laugh a little, "Xan, he's my fictional character crush. You got nothing to worry about." I turn in his arms to face him, and pulls down his head a little. I give him a chaste kiss. He didn't seem to like that, so he full on kisses me. Him, being him, of course I kiss him back. I pull back, and ask, "Were you jealous of my fictional character crush?" He shakes his head no but says 'yes.' I smile at him, "I told you," kiss, "you got nothing," kiss, "to worry about." He smiles, and I say, "You do look cute jealous though." Xander leans down and gives me another kiss.

We get back to watching the show, "You seem so tired my Star." He says, so I look up at him and nod. "Go to sleep baby. I'll be here when you wake up later." So, I listen, and shut my eyes going to sleep.

I woke up a few hours later having a hard time breathing, but I don't want to wake up Xan. So, I grab my phone to text Tony, 'bring me my oxygen tank and mask please.' Minute or two later, Tony is here, handing it to me. "When are you going to tell him?" My brother asks. I glare at him, "Never I would like. I will eventually." Tony shakes his head, "He deserves to know. If he finds out from you ending up in the hospital. I don't know what he would do, or who he'd be mad at." He spoke. "Yes, I know Tony. Please don't tell him. I'll figure out a way to tell him." I sigh out. He nods. Tony sits at the corner of my bed. "I just worry about you Stella, you're my little sister." I smile at him. "I know Tony, but you have to keep him distracted for me tomorrow. I have, "I whisper the chemo part, "So, yeah. Please and thanks." I say and sigh. Tony nods, he leads over and kisses my forehead. Then he gets up and walks out.

Xander and I spend the rest of the day together. I give him one last kiss goodnight, before I shooed him away to his own room. He leaves reluctantly, and I go to sleep.

I wake up the next morning and get dressed. Rosemary comes down to see if I'm ready. I let her know I am, and we both head out to my car. We get in and head the hospital.

When we get there, we enter the hospital and go to the 3rd floor. I check in, and wait to get called back. A few minutes later I get called back, and Rose comes with me. I sit, and the nurse sticks the needle in my arm.

After almost two hours of chemo, we go straight home. Rose ends up helping me downstairs to bed. Chemo always makes me weak. "Please put on my 'Do Not Disturb' sign on my door Rose. I might want to sleep, and I don't want to be disturbed if I end up sick." Rose nods at my request and leaves back upstairs with my sign. I assume she went back to her room. Solaris comes up on the bed and lays down with me.

I ended up falling asleep snuggling Solaris but woke up to run to the bathroom to spill my guts out in the toilet. Tony comes down and asks if I'm okay. I gave him a dead-pan serious look saying, 'Does it look like I'm okay?'. Do you want me to get anyone?" Tony asks because he's scared for me. I nod yes, "either mom or Rose.

Tony runs upstairs to get either or both of them. I'm waiting by the toilet, and end up getting sick again just as mom, and Rose came down. "Please shave my hair. I'll just end up losing it again. Afterwards, Mom, I want you to take the freshly cut hair to make it into another wig. Please. Rose, get my other wig out of the box under my bed." They both nod. "No one tells Xander. I'll tell him sooner or later. I'm just scared he won't want to be with cancer girl." I laugh bitterly at the last part.

Mom went upstairs to get the clippers, and came back downstairs to my room. She plugged it in and started to shave off my hair. I tried hard not to cry, but ended up silently doing it. Mom, Rosemary, and I, all had a little cry fest. Mom got done shaving my head, and put my hair in a plastic bag. Rosemary got my wig from under my bed, and I put it on right away. It's so itchy. At least I wont have to use shampoo and conditioner for a while.

"Thank you, mommy." I say and she nods, holding the bag with my hair in it. "Your welcome, my sweet pea. I'll go out and get this made into a wig right away. I will see you later sweetie. Take care of our girl Rose." My states, and Rose nods immediately. Mom leaves and I hear her car leaving the driveway.

Few minutes later, Tony and Xander came down to see us. "Mom left to go do something and to pick up dinner." I nodded and okay, and walked slowly to my couch. Rosemary helped me. Xander gave me a strange, but concerned look. I just waved it off, while Tony saw the clippers in my bathroom. Tony then looked at me asking with his eye, 'Did you shave your head?' I nodded. He mouthed 'wig' and nodded again.

"Can we go to the lake this weekend?" I asked. They all nodded; Rose says, "Bring the floaties." Tony nods. "Think your uncle will let us borrow his yacht?" Xander has asked. Both Tony and I shrug. "Maybe." Tony said. I pull out my phone and text uncle Rick to ask. He replies back with a big fat yes. I give Tony and them a thumbs up and a nod. "He's letting us. You'll just have to clean it after." I say, and Tony agrees.

Mom came back a few hours later, with McDonalds and my new wig. The guys went upstairs to play on the PS4, and Rose and I stayed downstairs and chatted. "Thank you, for being my best friend Rose, and sorry for burdening you with my illness." I say tearing up. "Stel, you're my best friend! I would be there for you always. We're sisters, and I love you." She replies back and we're both full on crying now.

We go to sleep on the couch snuggled up with pillows and blankets.