A Crime

Zen stood near the fireplace watching the simmering water. The wooden logs were stubborn as they refused to catch fire. He added dry leaves and crispy twigs to quantify the fire. Scarlett sat at the edge of the mattress, her hair seemed like someone had ploughed it during the night.

"What's the music?" She asked uncurling her body. Rhythmic notes of drums and flutes and trumpets strolled into their ears. Children giggling and elders loud babbling was distinctly heard.

"A morning custom I guess. It's been over 10 minutes." He stirred the boiling water, kindling the flames.

"And the water is for?" She asked rubbing her eyes.

"I found some tea leaves, why not try making some fresh tea?" He let out a deep 'ahhhh' sound as he breathed the refreshing aroma. It draped him with pleasantness beyond the brutality of past days.

"Scar! Make yourself look a little presentable," he let a giggle slip through his words, as he started at her dishevelled hair.

"I'm making an effort." She washed her face from the container outside. Combing her unruly hair from a wooden comb, she drank the tea he had formulated. They stepped out with strange thoughts on seeing the islanders buzz with glee.

"These islanders have a lot of energy in store!" Zen remarked.

"This is unusual, feels like a not so daily custom."

They walked in silence, absorbing the chaos outside and feeling their happiness. Sparkling ribbons and tapes were hung all around the place. Shimmering bands were worn by little lads. Men and women festooned in colourful robes and shawls. They saw Opeul standing at the far end, talking to some men. His polished white teeth sneaked out every time the leader grinned.

"Did it rain last night?" Scarlett questioned as she felt the moist soil.

"No?" He answered with uncertainty. 'Was I so deeply involved in my thoughts that I didn't notice the rain?' Zen mulled over it.

They finally saw Opeul's image. Zen almost dashed into a woman carrying a pot of milk, her reflexes were quick enough to save the pot from shattering into pieces. It was Trar, standing beside Opeul that made him lose his core focus.

Opeul stared at them with a mild smile embracing his lips although the eyebrows stayed weaved in the centre.

"Nice to see you lads..safe and sound!" He said with an emphasis on 'safe'.

They smiled back politely. How odd that they had no words to return his pleasantry.

"Keep wondering, kids! I see the novelty in your eyes. The Great Annual Festivals start from today- A three days feast."

"Oh! So the celebration has started?"

"Yes, you got it! Today is the 'Festival of Water'. Water, an element of nature we are kept in. We remember the significance of water, award the annual prodigies and educate people. The festival is set by our ancestors accurately the month it rains heavily. But we are disappointed this year as it didn't rain for so long like the previous years. Nevertheless, we have fatigued waiting for the rain. Can we bargain with the rain? It reveals itself in its own time. I ordered my men to water the soil. Do you smell? The essence of tingling smell when soil meets water."

"Fascinating! What about the other two days?" Zen interrupted which was followed by Scarlett sneezing so loud that the men around flinched as the women carried baskets of flowers along their way.

"Tomorrow is the very anticipated 'Festival of bread', a festival to mark the abundance of food and thanking God for all the provision. The third day is the 'Festival of havens'.
And the celebrations end after that!"