Chapter 5

(⚠️Warning: skip if you do not like abuse! But if you insist on reading this scene, you are warned. However, in the end, there will be a nice surprise for you.⚠️)

"Big bro!"

Klee was crying, screaming his name out while she heard the painful grunts of Albedo trying to defend himself. She wanted to help him, but at the same time didn't want to get hurt by their father's abuse. Even if she did try to let Albedo steer away from her father, her father would always just shove her away harshly. She tried that not but once, but thrice.

"Klee! Go, hide!"

"Shut up you filthy son of a—!"

Klee covered her ears as she closed her mouth tightly, running away to her and Albedo's room. She locked the door, sitting down with her back facing the door. She was shaking with fear. She didn't know what to do, she was too young at that time. Both of them were defenseless, they didn't know how to fight yet. Even though Klee slammed the door shut while covering her ears, she could still hear the loud slaps of his belt, giving much harm to Albedo. She cried and whimpered like an abandoned puppy in a rainy and dark alleyway. She had to go through this every two weeks. Hearing the slaps of the belt hitting the skin, his loud grunts, painful groans, her father cursing, her uncontrollable sobbing — everything seemed so surreal and too sudden for the poor child. Usually, beatings like that would last nearly an hour but this time, their father only did a good 38 minutes of beating. He was exhausted very exhausted after coming home from drinking a lot. He smelled horrible too.

After that was done, Albedo weakly walked his way over to their room. He twisted the door knob but it wouldn't unlock. He heard faint sobbing from the other side and to make the sound a bit clearer for him, he placed his ear to the door. He heard Klee's cries. He knew that Klee didn't hear the door knob twist because of her loud sobs so he had to call out her name. Knocking on the door wouldn't do either.

"Klee?"
He just called out.

Her senses triggered, becoming aware as she stopped crying for a moment. She gasped, standing up quickly and unlocking the door. Even though this always happened to them, Klee would still get so hurt and surprised to see that many bruises and wounds from her father's beatings towards Albedo. He limped over to the bed while Klee shut the door, locking it in the process. She instantly looked through the drawers to see a medkit. She grabbed it and hopped onto the bed, sitting beside Albedo. She couldn't focus on healing him because she was crying all over the place and her hands were shaking. Klee tried to wipe the wounds on his face but she couldn't since her hands were trembling in fear.

"Klee..."

"Y-yes..?"
She sniffed.

"I promised I will protect you, right?"

"Yes, you did fulfill your p-promise but you've gone way too far! Look at what dad did to you!"
She sniffed between her words.

He sighed as his throat began to swell and tears nearly filled his eyes. However, he held it back in because if Klee witnessed him crying too, it would only make the current situation worse.

"You a-always get hurt! A-and it feels like you're just letting me stand there helplessly while I-I watch you get hurt!"

"But Klee—"

"I want to help you! I want to do the same for you!"
She shouted as her tears fell from her bloodshot eyes.

Her clothes were drenched in her tears. Albedo felt guilty more, feeling like he was more of letting Klee witness the abuse unfold within her tiny eyes. At this young age, she'd be traumatized. And she was...

"You're still young Klee—"

"I don't care! I want to protect my big brother too because we're a family! I don't care if I get hurt as long as my big brother is still with me, I will take the risk no matter what!"