Chapter 13

Two months did pass by very fast like a harsh summer breeze. Sunshine sliced into Sucrose's eyes. She groaned in annoyance as she opened her eyes just to be blinded by the bright sun. She turned around and placed her pillow on top of her head to cover herself in pure darkness so she could sleep more. But she couldn't sleep a bit more. She sat up, screaming at her pillow before throwing it on the ground. After that, she just stared at it with a dull face until someone came in. It was Noelle.

"Your Highness, breakfast is ready."
She bowed.

As Noelle was about to take her to leave, Sucrose told her to stop.

"Wait, Noelle—"

"Yes?"
She turned around.

"Why do you still serve me? Why do you still wake me up in the morning and tell me that breakfast is ready? Why do you still serve me afternoon tea when I'm working with alchemy? Why do you still—"

"Because it is my job to do so as your maid and servant."

"Be honest with me. You hate me after what I said two months ago, don't you?"

Noelle stayed silent. She didn't know what to say. She didn't know what emotions to use. But she had to improvise her answer.

"Why would I hate you when you said those things? You were devastated and I decided to pressure it more before. It's been two months since that happened, I'm quite over it actually. After all, you were stressed and sad, weren't you? It was of course wrong for me to put salt in the wound. So I should be the one saying sorry for causing you that much trouble before, and yet I never did apologize. So, I'm—"

"You have no right to apologize."
Sucrose interrupted Noelle.

"...huh?"

"I should be the one to do that, not you. Because I took out my anger on you even though you were only trying to help me. I'm... sorry."

Sucrose was looking away in shame when she said that, while Noelle was there — standing in awe. Noelle couldn't help but crack a small smile on her face.

"I'm glad. I forgive you."

Sucrose released a gasp as she turned around with water pouring out of her eyes. She called Noelle's name a hundred times as she sobbed between her words. Noelle who was confused, just stood there until Sucrose hugged Noelle and made them both fall to the ground, sitting.

"Noelle!! I'm so sorrrrryyyy!!"

"Y-Your Highness, I already told you I forgi—"

"I'm so sorry!"

Noelle's eyes were about to water, but she fanned her eyes with her hands and told herself multiple times "don't cry, don't cry, don't cry, don't cry!"

"I was such a meanie to you!"
She inhaled in between her words.
"You should've never been treated that way before but you did and it's because of me!"
Sucrose sobbed as she prolonged her words.

"I'm fine, Your Highness. People make mistakes, and they learn from them. And you learn in the end to treat people better with kindness."
Noelle responded as she held Sucrose's shoulder.

"Yes, you're right."
Sucrose wiped her tears.

"That's good to know. Now please, go take a shower. And your breakfast is getting cold."

"O-oh! Yes! Sorry!"

Sucrose got up and grabbed her towel as she rushed into the bathroom. Noelle stood up and fixed Sucrose's room. She cleaned her bedside tables, and her desk, slid the curtains open, opened the windows for fresh air to come in, fixed up her bed and put back the fallen pillow, and finally, tied up her bed curtains.