Chapter 21

Okay, so I'll be adding music in this chapter to enhance the mood while you read. I'll underline the part where you come in and play the music I shared. (The song title is called Never Coming Back by Evan Call, you can find it on Spotify) After you read past the part where I underlined, the rest of the paragraphs are accompanied by music until the very end of the chapter. Yes, this is from Violet Evergarden and it just fits perfectly. I recommend you watch it, it's an amazing anime and movie.

Sucrose sat down, crossing her arms and legs, trying desperately to not lose control.

"So, tell me the reason why you did it."

He stayed silent, clenching his hands on his lap as he hid his face to avoid staring at Sucrose's cold glare.

"Your Highness. Ever since we apprehended him, he hasn't said a word since."
One of the Knights mentioned.

"I see."
Sucrose responded, narrowing her eyes.
"You don't want to talk, hm?"

The insolent boy stayed silent.

"Stay silent one more time and I'll lock you up for the rest of your life."
Sucrose threatened.

"Okay, okay! I'll talk! Just please, don't lock me up for so long! What do you need to know!?"

Sucrose smirked.
"Now you're talking. Good. Tell me, why did you spread false rumors to the townsfolk?"

"To get revenge on that stupid boy."

"Revenge?"
Sucrose repeated, slightly lifting her face.
"What did that boy do to you that made you want to seek revenge?"
She asked, leaning forward in curiosity.

"He insulted me badly! ...And I thought that doing something bad to him will also teach him a lesson..."
He half lied, also playing the guilty act to let Sucrose take pity on him.

"According to Acting Grand Master Jean and Ms. Lisa — although those two didn't hear the full conversation, apparently — you and a group of boys took the first move on him. You provoked him by saying that he's only friends with Princess Sucrose just to take advantage of her fortune."
One of the Knights confirmed, which contradicts what he said.

"Tch."
He said under his breath.

"Are you guilty of what you've done?"
Sucrose leaned her chin on top of her hands.

"Yes! I heard the news that he left and I felt bad that my bad actions made him leave."

"Liar."
Sucrose muttered to herself.

"That's why I hid for a long time. I was sulking at what I've done."

Sucrose's eyes widened before turning into hooded eyes as she was thinking. She averted her gaze at the floor, her mind running with questions.

Hiding? Sulking? Both of those words just contradict themselves. Why would he hide and sulk at the same time? At the very least, it's most likely he tried escaping from The Knights of Favonius. Or better yet, he did try to hide from public view because he knew eventually he'd get found out.

She then nodded to herself with the conclusion she made in her mind which satisfied her.

Sucrose glared at the boy, who gulped quickly and deeply in nervousness.
"How do two months or more correlate to hiding just so you can sulk?"

The boy gulped, frantically looking around.

Sucrose stood up, slamming both of her hands on the table.
"Answer me!"

He couldn't think of an answer. He was sweating in buckets, trembling in fear, unprepared for this moment.