Chapter 39

⚠️Warning: use of profanity, read with caution.⚠️

Jean stared in horror at the photos of every close moment captured on the printed paper. Most especially Sucrose. She felt sick to the stomach to think that Eris would go to such extreme lengths to expose both her and Albedo. She felt uneasy and she felt a sense of danger, not knowing until now that Eris had been stalking them ever since Albedo came back.

"Why would... she do this?"
Jean hesitated, her eyes not looking away.

Sucrose slowly walked to the couch with every part of her trembling in fear. Albedo sat on the couch with her, physically comforting her.

"Because she wants to expose both Princess Sucrose and my big bro."

"It's her way to 'help' us get married."
Xingqiu gestured with quotation marks.

"And apparently so, she plans on showing those photos to King Lionel because he absolutely despises his daughter to be with someone else besides Prince Xingqiu."
Albedo added.

That single sentence ended it all for Sucrose. The glimmer in her eyes disappeared as she glanced down at her lap.

"All this time... I thought father liked Albedo... but his only priority was to set me up over someone I don't love..."
Sucrose muttered.
"What happened to the conversation we had last year, back in Windrise? Was it all to convince me that he'd keep his word, only to throw it away next?"

Everyone shifted their heads to Sucrose and they can't help but feel guilty for her.

It's even worse to think about but he thought nothing of Sucrose and I's close friendship when we were just children.

"He doesn't care, does he?"

Everyone fell silent at Sucrose's cold realization.

"He doesn't care about my well-being anymore, huh? Only mom cares. The only thing he cares about is my marriage."
She paused and the pause was lengthy, letting the silence speak loud.
"He only cares about the tradition being continued. He doesn't care about how I felt and only shut my opinion down when I didn't want to marry someone I barely knew."

No one said a word — they didn't even dare to say a word back to Sucrose who was realizing now that father grew merciless and cold over time.

"I hate him."

Everyone's eyes widened at the low response Sucrose mumbled.

"Let's end this quickly. I want to punish Eris immediately and give King Lionel a piece of my mind."

In the cathedral...

Aether wasn't present in the cathedral for he was busy doing commissions in Liyue. Barbara was caring for Noelle, checking on her health and condition, tidying things up, and reciting short but meaningful prayers in her mind.

As soon as she was about to walk out, she heard a whimper coming from Noelle. Her head hastily turned to Noelle and the wonderful surprise of her eyes opening for the second time in days shocked her.

"Noelle!"

She ran back to Noelle and watched her eyes flutter open.

"Wha... where... where am I?"

Her body was still weak but she managed to finally regain consciousness.

"You're in the cathedral."

"I'm... in the cathedral? How long... how long have I been out?"

"Weeks."

"Weeks?!"
She sat up and proceeded to cough after her shout.

Barbara rubbed and patted her back as Noelle continued coughing. Barbara then walked over to get a glass of water and returned to Noelle to give it to her. Noelle drank the glass of water and placed it weakly on her side.