8. TONGUE-TIED

As soon as Jeongguk puts his car in park, Jimin grabs his backpack and storms out of the vehicle, slamming the door shut. He ignores how distressed the tattooed boy sounds while calling out to him.

He doesn't want to talk to anyone right now. He just wants to be alone.

"Jimin, please." Jeongguk manages to grab the boy's wrist before he can push the front door open.

"What do you want, Hyung?" Jimin turns around and looks Jeongguk in his eyes. They lack the personality he's characteristically known for, rather bordered by a tenderness and a desperateness in it's replacement.

"I just want you to listen to me, Min. I'd like to explain myself." Jimin's gaze trails over Jeongguk's tattooed arm because he'd rather look anywhere else than his face.

The subtle breeze ripples through Jimin's clothes, as if urging him to speak or move. To do anything. But he's frozen in place, stuck wondering.

Growing up as Jin's younger brother and losing his parents only three years ago has enabled him to grow thick skin, even if it may not be the strongest. But nobody is indestructible. So would he have told anyone, or would he have let it continue to happen? He thinks it over, stuck between his own side and Jeongguk's.

"Please believe me when I say it wasn't my intention to hurt you. I was just trying to help. Who gives a fuck if the asshole is married to a woman with children? I'm not going to let him touch you anymore, Min." Jeongguk's voice is soft, as is his grip around Jimin's wrist.

Jimin pulls on his bottom lip in thought, studying the slim fingers that press against the skin of his small wrist. His gaze wanders Jeongguk's arm once again, over every detailed piece of ink until they meet the brown-haired boy's sincere eyes. He isn't sure what to make of it, or the situation that they've found themselves in.

Truth be told, Jeongguk is the last person Jimin ever expected to be so worried and helpful. He isn't exactly too sure who'd fill the position. Taehyung, maybe? Jin, possibly if he pushed aside the alcohol.

But this isn't what their relationship has ever been like. It's been filled with teasing, mockery, bickering - you name it. Just anything other than this. It does a lot to him but what he feels to be the most prevalent emotion is confusion, maybe curiosity.

Why is Jeongguk being like this? Why is he suddenly so present in his life, when it almost seems like he existed rarely? He doesn't realize how lost in thought he's gotten. He can barely hear Jeongguk calling his name and before it registers fully, it sounds like he's beneath water.

"Min, you alright?" Jeongguk places the back of his hand against Jimin's forehead. The latter peers up warily, unaware of the fact his cheeks dust over in a pretty rose color. He isn't sure whether his face heats up from anger, embarrassment, guilt. Whatever it is, it alarms him and so he pushes the brown-haired boy's hand to the side.

"I'm fine. I just want to be alone. Please." Jeongguk looks him over briefly, ultimately a look of calculation. But he nods his head and takes a step back, understanding his boundaries.

Jimin hoists his backpack strap further up his shoulder and turns around, pushing the front door open. He spots Jin in the kitchen, sitting at the island with his phone in his hand and his homework sprawled over the counter top. Their eyes meet but he doesn't say anything and kicks his shoes off of his feet, walking upstairs to his bedroom.

When he opens his bedroom door, he spots a tuft of blue hair peaking out from beneath one of his blankets. It makes him smile because just like many years ago, some things never change.

He places his backpack on the floor against his wall and plops himself on his computer chair, staring at the blob on his bed. "Tae, what are you doing?" he asks with a small chuckle.