13. RED SOLO CUP

By the time Jeongguk reaches Jin's house, the party is in full swing. There are some people littered along the front lawn but seeing as it's warmer out, most of them are in the back, either around or inside of the pool.

There are red solo cups at every glance and there doesn't seem to be one sober person in sight. The music is most definitely loud enough to warrant a complaint and it's something that Jeongguk has never really noticed because typically, he's at least always buzzed when he comes to one of Jin's parties. But tonight he's completely sober.

Walking between bodies that sway in a constant rhythm like buoys makes it harder for Jeongguk to maneuver the house and reach the kitchen where all of the alcohol is kept. The sole reason he's going said direction is because usually, it's where Jin is.

To see Jeongguk at a party, unwilling to mingle and score has some of the people who reach out to him perturbed. He brushes them off, indifferent to the callous looks he's being given. He moves beyond a couple more people and finds Jin standing by the island, downing a shot with a handful of other people.

"Gguk!" Jin yells out while he makes his way around the island. He places a hand on Jeongguk's shoulder and uses him as support. "Took you long enough to show up," he drawls, smiling.

"Can I talk to you?" Jeongguk asks bluntly over the loud music, taking the empty shot glass out of Jin's hand. He places it on the island's countertop right behind him and doesn't wait for a reply. He grabs the older by the wrist and drags him away.

"Gguk," Jin mumbles, slight perplexity to his slurred tone. He steps on Jeongguk's heels as they make their way through the house, up the stairs.

They make it to Jimin's bedroom and Jeongguk opens the door. "Get the fuck out. Eat each other's faces somewhere else." The girl and boy scurry through the doorway, stifling their laughter.

The door closes with a bang, loud enough to have Jin slightly sobered up. He plants himself on the bed, leaning back and Jeongguk crosses his arms, looking the black haired boy over. Jin's expression is sluggish as he stares into eyes of peril.

"What do you want?" Jin asks, narrowing his gaze.

"It's not about what I want," Jeongguk clarifies. "It's about what you and Jimin need. But I'm not going to dive into that right now because you aren't in the right state of mind. Everything that I say will go into one ear, straight out the other. You need to watch out for yourself, Jin Hyung."

Jin tilts his head to the side, eyebrows knit together. "So you're here to babysit me?" he humours, an airy chuckle leaving his rose-tinted lips. "I don't need a babysitter."

"But you do," Jeongguk cuts in, apathetic toward the stunned look on Jin's face. "And Jimin shouldn't have to worry about looking after you."

Jin opens his mouth to say something, but it ends up closing. Instead, he breaks into a smile and a hushed chuckle melts into the air. He stands from the foot of the bed and places a hand on Jeongguk's shoulder, a touch that would otherwise feel caring, now in a sense curated by ridicule.

"I'm going back to the party." And just like that, Jeongguk is in the bedroom by himself.

There isn't much he can do if Jin is under the influence, however Jeongguk doesn't forget the way he hesitated. Even if little, it's still progress. He isn't trying to fix their relationship, by any means. He's just trying to push it in the right direction.

Jeongguk sighs, eyes wandering Jimin's small and cozy bedroom. His gaze falls onto the family portrait resting on the side table. He ambles toward it and grabs it between careful fingertips, studying.