27. ROSE GOLD

Riding along in the passenger seat of Jeongguk's truck with a blindfold over his eyes makes Jimin feel much more uneasy than it should. It was with a promise to take him out for his birthday that led to this, more specifically the fact that where they're going is a surprise.

Yesterday night, him, Jeongguk and Taehyung all went out for dinner together to celebrate as three. But seeing as today is his actual birthday, Jeongguk wanted it to be extra special - just the two of them.

It doesn't matter how many times Jimin speaks up, asking where he's being taken exactly or what Jeongguk has planned. It's always the same response - a response that would be enough to frustrate him religiously if he weren't so obsessed with his boyfriend.

To compensate for the silence, their hands are intertwined tightly over the console. Jimin hones in on the feeling of Jeongguk's thumb rubbing against the skin of his hand, every now and then forgetting about the blindfold tied around his head. He has never really been one for surprises, not since his parents passed away and most recently since Jin left for the States. Although it isn't by any means negative, it's still enough to make him feel slightly unsettled.

Involuntarily, a whine sneaks by Jimin's lips. The grip on his hand is tighter and a pair of soft lips land against his knuckles.

"We're almost there, baby. Hang in there, okay?" Jeongguk says against his fingers.

"I'm trying," Jimin replies, pulling on his bottom lip. "You know I don't like surprises."

"I promise you'll love it. Try to relax." Although it's a little difficult, Jimin does what he can and focuses on Jeongguk's warm hand around his own.

It feels like roughly ten minutes later that they show up at the location. Jimin knows this because the truck rolls to a stop and the rumbling from the running engine dies out.

"Keep your blindfold on, baby." Jeongguk is heard getting out of the vehicle and not too long after his door closes, the passenger side opens. Jimin's unbuckled and lowered to the ground. "Come on. Get on my back."

The blond feels around for Jeongguk's shoulders. Once his arms are hooked around him, he's hoisted onto the older boy's back, circling his legs around his slim waist. Instinctively, he burrows his face into the nape of Jeongguk's neck as he takes off. There's the distinct sound of a door opening and then closing behind them, notifying him that they're indoors. His fingers tighten around the brown-headed boy's hoodie.

"Hyung," Jimin whines while he's lowered off of Jeongguk's back slowly to meet the ground. His grip around the latter's top refuses to loosen.

"I've got you, baby." Jeongguk rounds Jimin's body, loosening the blindfold from his eyes and stuffing it in his hoodie pocket in the meantime. "What do you think?" he asks, watching the blond's mouth part.

"When... when did you get the time to do all of this? Did you rent the place out?" Jimin asks breathlessly, looking over all of the pictures of them both together, of him and his friends and his parents as well as Jin. He finds himself choking up, running his fingers over his neck.

Jeongguk hums, brushing one of his thumbs along Jimin's rosy cheekbone. "I did it yesterday while you were at school and after I was finished with my classes," he says, watching Jimin as he finally moves toward the display of photos.

In all honesty, it's been a long time since Jimin has seen photos of his parents. He hadn't necessarily realized it until now but it seems as though he's been trying to avoid them. Maybe it's because of the unforgivable heartbreak he's been feeling. But right now, in this moment, he feels relief.

The way his mom used to look at him makes his chest tighten. And the way his little hand wrapped securely around one of his dad's fingers. He misses being small. He misses being around them and a time when everything seemed so simple. Like every question had an answer.