Mistaken (Peter Parker)

Pov- Your best friend Peter Parker wants to confess something but so do you.

....................

For years, probably since 7th Grade, you've had this insanely BIG crush on your best friend. I mean who can't resist those bouncy, brown curls, that smile which lights up his whole face. In other words, he's just perfect. However, in the past few months, you've started to realise that there's no point in liking Peter if all he finds you as is a 'bestfriend'...not anything more.
To get your mind off Peter, you pretended he is gay, meaning he is totally off limits and it helps you not think of him 24/7 and stare at his dreamy eyes all day than actually listen to him rant on about Star Wars with Ned.
But now, things have changed, feelings in particular. Although a small remainder of feelings still stayed deep within for Peter, you focused on yourself, a glow up, exams etc...
Unexpectedly...you seemed to have gained a crush, on someone who you wouldn't ever even consider as an option, years back: Brad.
Peter hated him, he didn't even need to tell you, you just knew the way Peter's eyes squinted slightly if Brad passed and smiled at you.
Over Biology class, you and Brad have gotten really close, and in all fairness you thought he really wasn't that bad. He's a crush...and Peter, being your best friend, has every right to know that.

"Hey Parker, Hey Leeds." You walk over to Peter and Ned, as they wave at you, a Lego figure balancing on the edge of Ned's fingertips. All three of you did this nerdy handshake together, to be fair, the handshake was something to be proud of and you were. In the corner a gaggle of popular girls rolled their eyes at you guys, in return you looked at them, tilted your head and smiled. That seemed to annoy them as they walked off, slinging there heavy hand back over there shoulder.
A few minutes passed, "Ok guys, I'm gonna head to Chemistry before Angry Teacher causes a storm...again." Before any of you could reply, Ned blended in with the crowd who were probably heading to Chemistry as well.

Finally, alone time, with Peter. "So...there's something I wanna tell you." You both say totally in sync. You laugh. Peter laughs. "You go first." You both say AGAIN, at the same time. Twin Telepathy. "Ladies first" Peter beckoned, a grin reaching his happy, yet nervous face.
"Ok.." God why was this so hard? Something deep inside was telling you not to confess...but why? Peter raises his eyebrows, giving a signal for you to continue. You stumble upon my words unsure of how to say it. "Actually let's say it at the same time, ok?" You ask, when Peter gives a thumbs up and shrugs. "Um sure yeah, good idea." A glint of anxiousness lingers in his voice.
"On the mark of 3. 2. 1.." You count.
"I like, like you!" Peter rambles quickly, like the speed of lightning.
"I have a crush on Brad!" You spit out at the same time, your words drowning and overlapping his, making his words sound all muffled. What did Peter say? "Wait what Peter?"

Peter's eyes make sudden contact with the ground and his face turns a flash of red, he scratches the outside, upper bit of his ear. You know this means he's embarrassed or disappointed or even both. "Right...you like Brad.." he sighs, disappointed almost.

Peter;s POV....

GOD I LOVE HER! I LOVE HER SO GODDAMN MUCH WHY CANT SHE SEE IT??? I've loved her since we shared the same red crayon in kindergarten, I've loved her since the day I met her and today I finally had the courage, after all those years to confess. But she liked Brad. Shit. I've messed up, I'm a jerk. How could I pull off such a perfect girl anyway?

"Wait Peter who do you have a crush on?" She asks, curiosity drowns her face. "Um no one." I shrug averting my eyes to someplace else other than her face. "No Peter tell me." Her tone becomes sharper, as students begin walking to first period. "I should go." I rub the back of my neck in nervousness. "I can stay here all day if I need to! Tell meeee Peter Parker." She beckons. I really should get to class and not just to avoid Y/n. I'm gonna be late and I really am not looking forward to detention again when instead I could be saving the neighbourhood.

A tall, curly haired girl walks past Y/n and an idea springs to mind, "MJ" I blurt out, not realising what I'm saying.
"What?" She asks, blatantly confused.
"Yeah, I like MJ." I lie..
"But you dont hang out with her at all, sorry but no one does.." yeah its true, no one does hang out with MJ, she's pretty dark but in a funny way. She's cool though, I guess.
I shrug in response. "Just because you don't see me with her, doesnt mean that I don't hang out with her" I shoot back in response.
Y/n wears the same confused expression for a bit, she's thinking, thinking deep and hard.
In an attempt to convince her, I add, "Yeah, I- um I hang out with her in Mathematics and after school.."
"Oh...I get it. Yeah Peter I get it now." Sarcasm leaks in her voice. "All those nights, you say you're 'too busy helping or going out with May' to hang out, it's because your hanging out with MJ. Seriously I wouldnt have cared if you were ditching me for her, I understand that you have a life without your bestfriend always on your tail."
"N-no Y/n it's not like that."
"Really? Because it sure as hell does look like it." She snorts, laughing more to herself than at me.
This did not go to plan...at all....