10-𝐛𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐚𝐥

After bringing up your frustration about babysitting to Yuki, you're relieved that you finally have your free days to yourself. Like you mentioned you don't mind watching the kids but realistically being part of the big four and the hero course as a whole, means you can be called in and needed at any given moment. Months before the break had started you and the girls had scheduled places you would go on the days you all had free. But of course, the plans you had fallen through. Momo has family she hasn't seen in years visiting for the entire break and Mina has to train and work with her agency. Later that day, you were on the phone with Shindo as usual and you vented to him, annoyed at how all your plans were canceled at the last minute. Shindo being the person he is, trying to turn a bad situation into a good one randomly makes plans with you on the spot.

It's been a little over two weeks and you and Shindo have been linking up almost every day since. Some days you two may not even have anything planned, you're just happy to be out of the house. The temperature has been freezing, making some of your experiences turn to shit. Nonetheless, it creates another memory with him, making you two become closer almost like middle school days.

One Week Later

It's about seven in the morning and you wake up to Umi and Uma squealing, overly excited to open Christmas presents. "Okay, I'm getting up." You groan as you envy them for being younger. You, Yuki, and your mom spent all last night till sunrise wrapping gifts along with ones that were last-minute ones you shopped for hours before. As tired as you are, you don't mind it since seeing the kids' eyes light up makes it all worth it. When the kids are finished opening their gifts, you exchange gifts with your mom and Yuki. Your mom continued to apologize about how she wishes she could give more not only to you but to Yuki and the kids as well. Like every year you all repeatedly get on her about the fact that she could give absolutely nothing and all of you would still be appreciative. Even Uma and Umi are old enough to understand that. After all the things Yuki had bought you before you didn't expect to get much, but Yuki never fails to go all out on special occasions (especially birthdays, more specifically her own) She surprised you all with a five-day family trip to Kyoto, Japan at a ski resort in two days. Instead of staying in the hotel the resort provides, she found a huge Airbnb right next to it. Before you could tell her the trip might not work out due to the school needing you at any moment, she further emphasizes that there's only one week left before you go back and that Kyoto is only three hours away. You appreciate that because of your situation, she was considerate and planned out everything way ahead of time.

A small tradition you keep every year on the holidays is making hot chocolate for the family. Now that the kids are a little older now they can help. It makes you kind of sad looking at them, seeing how they grow so fast and sprout like weeds. Yuki tried to help but fucked up when she used water for the mixture instead of milk like a damn psychopath, causing you to start from scratch. After many cups of hot chocolate and filling them to the very brim with whip cream and marshmallows, everyone's sugar level including yours is on ten. Unlike the kids, you all are able to hold your composure. Coincidentally it starts snowing, you daze for a second watching the flakes fall on top of the icy snow that came down the night before. Too jittery to function, the kids barely holding their balance jump up and down begging to play in the snow.

After your mom and Yuki struggle to get the sugar rushed kids dressed, they run outside not knowing what to do. At first, they just run around happily, making snow angels, etcetera, before Umi ignites a snowball fight. Naturally, you break into teams. Uma and you being on one, Yuki and Umi on the other while your mom acts as a referee. You always regret getting into anything competitive with Yuki because she plays dirty, hitting you and even her own child in the face with snow. At the end of the game, you and Uma are victorious, making Umi a little salty. He picks up the biggest piece of snow that his little hands can carry and doesn't hesitate to aim it right at Uma's face. Stunned by the impact, Uma doesn't move a muscle, not being able to comprehend the sudden pain she's experiencing. Everyone comes to realize Umi accidentally threw a piece of ice when Uma looks down. She starts to cry when she sees the snow at her feet turn red, drop by drop. You all run to Uma comforting her so she stops crying while also trying to see the damage that had been done. There's a slash on her left cheek right under her eye, deep enough she might need stitches. Umi stands back a bit with shame and guilt all over his face.