Chapter 1.2 (Part 1)

One floor below, Margaret Fleming sat calmly reading His Grace of Twyford's morning paper in an armchair by his library hearth. If she felt any qualms over the propriety if her present position, she hid them well. Her charmingly candid countenance was free of all nervousness and, as she scanned a frankly libellous account of a garden party enlivened by the scandalous propensities of the ageing Duke Duke if Cumberland, an engaging smile curved her generous lips. In truth, she was looking forward to her meeting with the Duke. She and her sisters had spent a most enjoyable eighteen months, the wine of freedom a heady tonic after their previously monastic existence. But it was time and more for them to embark on the serious business of securing their futures. To do that, they needs must enter the ton, that glittering arena thus far denied them. And, for them, the Duke of Twyford undeniably held the key to that particular door.

   Hearing the tread of a masculine stride approach the library door, Margaret raised her head, then smiled confidently. Thank heavens the Duke was so easy to manage.

   By the time he reached the ground floor, Felix had exhausted every possible excuse for the existence of the mysterious Miss Fleming. He had taken little time to dress, having no need to employ extravagant embellishments to distract attention from his long and powerful frame. His broad shoulders and muscular thighs perfectly suited the prevailing fashion. His superbly cut coats looked as though they had been mounded on to him and his buckskin breeches showed not a crease. The understated waistcoat, perfectly tied cravat and shining top-boots which completed the picture were the envy of many an aspiring exquisite. His hair, black as night, was neatly cropped to frame a dark face on which the years had left nothing more than a trace of worldly cynicism. Disdaining the ornamentation common to the times, His Grace of Twyford wore no ring other than a gold signet on his left hand and displayed no five or seals. In spite of this, no one setting eyes on him could imagine he was other than he was—one of the most fashionable and wealth men in the ton.

   He entered his library, a slight frown in the depths of his midnight-blur eyes. His attention was drawn by a flash of movement as the young lady who had been calmly reading his copy of the morning Gazette in his favourite armchair by the hearth folded the paper and laid it aside, before rising to face him. Felix halted, blue eyes suddenly intent, all trace of displeasure vanishing as he surveyed his unexpected visitor. His nightmare had transmogrified into a dream. The vision before him was unquestionably a houri. For a number of moments he remained frozen in rapturous contemplation. Then, his rational mind reasserted itself. Not a houri. Houris did not read the Gazette. At least, not in his library at nine o'clock in the morning. From the unruly copper curls clustering around her face to the tips of her tiny slippers, showing tantalizingly from under the simply cut and outrageously fashionable gown, there was nothing with which he could find fault. She was built on generous lines, a tall Junoesque figure, deep-bosomed and wide-hipped, but all in the most perfect proportions. Her apricot silk gown did justice to her ample charms, clinging suggestively to a figure of Grecian delight when his eyes returned to her face, he had time to take in the straight nose and full lips and the dimple that peeked irrepressibly from one cheek before his gaze was drawn to the finely arched brows and long lashes which framed her large eyes. It was only when he looked into the cool grey-green orbs that he saw the twinkle of amusement lurking there. Unused to provoking such a response, he frowned.

   "Who exactly, are you?" His voice, he was pleased to find, was even and his diction clear.

   The smile which had been hovering at the corners of those inviting lips finally came into being, disclosing a row of small pearly teeth. But instead of answering his question, the vision replied, "I was waiting for the Duke of Twyford."

   Her voice was low and musical. Mentally engaged in considering how to most rapidly dispense with the formalities, Felix answered automatically. "I am the Duke."

   "You?" For one long moment, utter bewilderment was writ large across her delightful countenance.

   For the life of her, Margaret could not use her surprise. How could this man, of all men, be the Duke? Aside from he fact he was far too young to have been a crony if her father's, the gentleman before her was unquestionably a rake. And a rake of the first order, to boot. Whether the dark-browned, harsh-featured face wig its aquiline nose and firm mouth and chin or the lazy assurance with which he had entered the room had contributed to her reading of his character, she could not have said. But the calmly arrogant way his intensely blue eyes had roved from the top of her curls all the way down to her feet, and then just as calmly returned by the same route, as if to make sure he had missed nothing, left her in little doubt of what sort of man she now faced. Secure the knowledge of being under her guardian's roof, she had allowed the amusement she felt on seeing such decided appreciation glow in the deep blue eyes to show. No, with those same blue eyes still on her, piercingly perceptive, she felt as if the rug had been pulled from beneath her feet.

   Felix could hardly miss her stunned look. "For my sins," he added in confirmation.

   With a growing sense of unease, he waved his visitor to a chair behind it. As he did so, he mentally shook his head to try to clear it of the thoroughly unhelpful thoughts that kept crowding in. Damn Lolita!

   Margaret, rapidly trying to gauge where this latest disconcerting news left her, came forward to sink into the chair indicated.

   Outwardly calm, Felix watched the unconsciously graceful glide of her walk, the seductive swing of her hips as she sat down. He would have to find a replacement for Lolita. His gaze rested speculatively on the beauty before him. Rickshaw has been right. She was unquestionably a lady. Still, that had never stopped him before. And, now he came to look more closely, she was not, he thought, that young. Even better. No rings, which was odd. Another twinge of pain from behind his eyes lent a harshness to his voice. "Who the devil are you?"

   The dimple peeped out again. In no way discomposed, she answered, "My name if Margaret Fleming. And, if you really are the Duke of Twyford, then I'm very much afraid I'm your ward."