Chapter 1.4 (Part 2)

Felix was frowning.

   "Of course," Mr. Bailey went on, consulting the documents on his knee, "You would only be responsible for the three young girls."

   Instantly he had his client's attention, the blue eyes oddly piercing. "Oh? Why is that?"

   "Under the terms of their father's will, the Missed Fleming were given into the care of the Duke of Twyford until they attained the age of twenty-five or married. According to my records, I believe Miss Fleming to be nearing her twenty-sixth birthday. So she could , should she wish, assume responsibility for herself."

   Felix's relief was palpable. But hard on its heels came another consideration. Margaret Fleming has recognized his interest in her—hardly surprising as he had taken no pains to hide it. If she knew he was not her guardian, she would keep him at arm's length. Well, try to, at least. But Margaret Fleming was not a green girl. The aura of quiet self-assurance which clung to her suggested she would not be an east conquest. Obviously, it would be preferable if she continued to believe she was protected from him by his guardianship. That way, he would have no difficulty in approaching her, his reputation notwithstanding. In fact, the more he thought of it, the more merits he could see in the situation. Perhaps, in this case, he could have his cake and eat it too? He eyed Mr. Bailey. "Miss Fleming knows nothing of the terms of her father's will. At present, she believes herself to be my ward, along with her half-sisters. Is there any pressing need to inform her of her change in status?"

   Mr. Bailey blinked owlishly, a considering look suffusing his face as he attempted to unravel the Duke's motive for wanting Miss Fleming to remain as his ward. Particularly after wanting to dissolve the guardianship altogether. Felix Cambridge did not normally vacillate.

   Felix, perfectly sensible of Mr. Bailey's thoughts, put forward the most acceptable excuses he could think of. "For a start, whether she's twenty-four or twenty-six, she's just as much in need of protection as her sisters. Then, too, there's the question of propriety. If it was generally known she was not my ward, it would be exceedingly difficult for her to be seen in my company. And as I'll still be guardian to her sisters, and as they'll be residing in one of my establishments, the situation could become a trifle delicate, don't you think?"

   It was not necessary for him to elaborate. Mr. Bailey saw the difficulty clearly enough. It was his turn to frown. "What you say is quite true." Robert Bailey has no opinion whatever in the ability of the young ladies to manage affairs. "At present, there is nothing I can think of that requires Miss Fleming's agreement. I expect it can do no harm to leave her in ignorance of her status until she weds."

   The mention of marriage brought a sudden check to Felix's racing mind but he resolutely put the disturbing notion aside for later examination. He had too much to do today.

   Mr. Bailey was continuing, "How do you plan to handle the matter, if I may make so bold as to ask?"

   Felix had already given the thorny problem of how four young ladies could be presented to the ton under his protection, without raising a storm, some thought. "I propose to open up Twyford House immediately. They can stay there. I intend to ask my aunt, Lady Hillsborough, to stand as the girls' sponsor. I'm sure she'll be only too thrilled. It'll keep her amused for the Season."

   Mr. Bailey was acquainted with Lady Hillsborough. He rather grout it would. A smile curved his thin lips.

   The Duke stood, bringing the interview to a close.

   Mr. Bailey rose. "That seems most suitable. If there's anything further in which we can assist Your Grace, we'll be only too delighted."

   Felix nodded in response to this formal statement. As Mr. Bailey bowed, prepared to depart, Felix, a past master of social intrigue, saw one last hole in the wall and moved to block it. "If there's any matter you wish to discuss with Miss Fleming, I suggest you do it through me, as if I was, in truth, her guardian. As you handle both our estates, there can really be no impropriety in keeping up appearances. For Miss Fleming's sake."

   Mr. Bailey bowed again. "I foresee no problems, Your Grace."