Chapter 2.1 (Part 2)

Knowing this was an attitude he was going to meet increasingly in the next few weeks, Felix sighed. In an even tone suggestive of long suffering, he pointed out the obvious. "They weren't left to me but to my esteemed and now departed uncle's care. Mind you, I can't see that he'd have been much use to 'em either."

   Wiping the tears from her eyes, Lady Hillsborough considered this view. "Can't see it myself," she admitted. "Harry always was a slow-top. Who are they?"

   "The Misses Fleming. From Hertfordshire." Felix proceeded to give her a brief résumé of the life history of the Flemings, ending with the information that it transpired all four girls were heiresses.

   Amelia Hillsborough was taken aback. "And you say they're beautiful to boot?"

   "The one I've seen, Margaret, the eldest, most definitely is."

   "Well, if anyone should know it's you!" replied her ladyship testily. Felix acknowledged the comment with the slightest inclination of his head.

   Lady Hillsborough's mind was racing. "So, what do you want with me?"

   "What I would like, dearest Aunt," said Felix, with his sweetest smile, "is for you to act as chaperon to the girls and present them to the ton." Felix paused. His aunt said nothing, sitting quite still with her sharp blue eyes, very like his own, fixed firmly on his face. He continued. "I'm opening up Twyford House. It'll be ready for them tomorrow. I'll stand the nonsense—all of it." Still she said nothing. "Will you do it?"

   Amelia Hillsborough thought she would like nothing better than to be part of the hurly-burly of the marriage game again. But four? All at once? Still, there was Felix's backing, and that would count for a good deal. Despite his giving the distinct impression of total uninterest in anything other than his own pleasure, she knew from experience that, should he feel inclined, Felix could and would perform feats impossible for those with lesser clout in the fashionable world. Years after the event, she had learned that, when her youngest son had embroiled himself in a scrape so hideous that even now she shuddered to think of it, it had been Felix who had rescued him. And apparently for no better reason than it had been bothering her. She still owed him for that.

   But there were problems. Her own jointure was not particularly large and, while she had never asked Felix for relief, turning herself out in the style he would expect of his wards' chaperon was presently beyond her slender means. Hesitantly, she said, "My own wardrobe..."

   "Naturally you'll charge all costs you incur in this business to me," drawled Felix, his voice bored as he examined through his quizzing glass a China cat presently residing on his aunt's mantelpiece. He knew perfectly well is aunt managed on a very slim purse but was too wise to offer direct assistance which would, he knew, be resented, not only by the lady herself but also by her pompous elder son.

   "Can I take Marian with me to Twyford House?"

   With a shrug, Felix assented. "Aside from anything else, she might come in handy with four charges."

   "When can I meet them?"

   "They're staying at Guile's . I'm taking Miss Fleming for a drive this afternoon to tell her what I've decided. I'll arrange for them to move to Twyford House tomorrow afternoon. I'll send Gibson to help you and Mrs. Ashford in transferring to Mount Street. It would be best, I suppose, if you could make the move in the morning. You'll want to familiarize yourself with the staff and so on." Bethinking himself that it would be wise to have one of his own well-trained staff on hand, he added, "I suppose I can let you have Gibson for a week or two, until you settle in. I suggest you and I meet the Misses Fleming when they arrive—shall we say at three?"

   Lady Hillsborough was entranced by the way her nephew seemed to dismiss complications like opening and staffing a mansion overnight. Still, with the efficient and reliable Gibson on the job, presumably it would be done. Feeling a sudden and unexpected surge of excitement at the prospect of embarking on the Season with a definite purpose in life, she drew a deep breath. "Very well. I'll do it!"

   "Good!" Felix stood. "I'll send Gibson to call on you this afternoon."

   His aunt, already engrossed in the matter of finding husbands for the Fleming chits, looked up. "Have you seen the other three girls?"

   Felix shook his head. Imagining the likely scene should they be on hand this afternoon when he called for Miss Fleming, he closed his eyes in horror. He could just hear the on-dits. "And I hope to God I don't see them in Guile's foyer either!"

   Amelia Hillsborough laughed.