Chapter 10.2

It took Sophia nearly half an hour to conclude her instructions to Sir Jack. Initially, he had been more than a little reluctant even to discuss such enterprise. But, by dwelling in the depth of Maribella's need, appealing quite brazenly to poor Sir Jack's chivalrous instincts, she had finally wrung from him his sworn agreement to the entire plan.

   In a mood of definite self-congratulation, she led the way back to the music-room and, stepping over the door sill, all but walked into Daniel Hammington. His hand at her elbow steadied her, but stung by his touch, she abruptly pulled away. Sir Jack, who had not previously met Lord Daniel, stopped in bewilderment, his eyes going from Sophia's burning face to his lordship's pale one. Then, Daniel Hammington became aware of his presence. "I'll return Miss Fleming to her seat."

   Responding to the commanding tone, Sir Jack bowed and departed.

   Sophia drew a breath. "How dare you?" she uttered furiously as she made to follow Sir Jack.

   But Daniel's hand on her arm detained her. "What's that...country bumpkin to you?" The insulting drawl in his voice drew a blade of fire from Sophia's eyes.

   But before she could wither him where she stood, several heads turned their way. "Sssh!"

   Without a word, Daniel turned her and propelled her back out of the door.

   "Disgraceful!" said Lady Sterling to Mrs. Berg, nodding by her side.

   On the balcony, Sophia stood very still, quivering with rage and a number of other more interesting emotions, directly attributable to the fact that Daniel was standing immediately behind her.

   "Perhaps you'd like to explain what you were doing with that gentleman on the balcony for half an hour and more?"

   Sophia almost turned, then remembered how close he was. She lifted her chin and kept her temper with an effort. "That's hardly any affair of yours, my lord."

   Daniel frowned. "As a friend of your guardian—"

   At that Sophia did turn, uncaring if the consequences, her eyes flashing, her voice taut. "As a friend of my guardian, you've been trying to seduce me ever since you first set eyes on me!"

   "True," countered Daniel, his face like granite. "But not even Felix has blamed me for that. Besides, it's what you Fleming girls expect, isn't it? Tell me, my dear, how many lovesick puppies have you had at your feet since I left?"

   It was on the tip of Sophia's tongue to retort that she had had no lack of suitors since his lordship had quit the scene. But, just in time, she saw the crevasse yawning at her feet. In desperation, she willed herself to calm, and coolly met his blue eyes, her own perfectly candid. "Actually, I find the entertainments of the ton have palled. Since you ask, I've formed the intention of entering a convent. There's a particularly suitable one, the Ursulines, not far from our old home."

   For undoubtedly the first time in his adult life, Daniel Hammington was completely nonplussed. A whole range of totally unutterable responses sprang to his lips. He swallowed them all and said, "You wouldn't be such a fool."

   Sophia's brows rose coldly. For a moment she held his gaze, then turned haughtily to move past him.

   "Sophia!" The word was wrung from him and then she was in him arms, her lips crushed under his, her head spinning as he gathered her more fully to him.

   For Sophia, it was a repeat of their interlude in the shrubbery. As the kids deepened, then deepened again, she allowed herself a few minutes' grace, to savour the paradise of being once more in his arms.

   Then, she gathered her strength and tore herself from his hold. For an instant, they remained frozen, silently staring at each other, their breathing tumultuous, their eyes liquid fire. Abruptly, Sophia turned and walked quickly back into the music-room.

   With a long-drawn-out sigh, Daniel Hammington leaned upon the balustrade, gazing unseeingly at the well-manicured lawns.

   His Grace f Twyford carefully scrutinizes Sophia Fleming's face as she returned to the music room and joined her younger sisters in time to applaud the singer's operatic feats. Margaret, seated beside him, had not noticed her sister's departure from the room, nor her short-lived return. As his gaze slid gently over Margaret's face and noted the real pleasure the music had brought her, he decided that he had no intention of informing her of her sister's strange behaviour. That there was something behind the younger Flemings's interest in Sir Jack Finley he did not doubt. But whatever it was, he would much prefer that Margaret was not caught up in it. He was becoming accustomed to having her complete attention and found himself reluctant to share it with anyone.

   He kept a watchful eye on the door to the balcony and, some minutes later, when the singer was once more in full flight, saw Daniel Hammington enter and, unobtrusively, leave the room. His eyes turning once more to the bowed dark head of Sophia Fleming, Felix sighed. Daniel Hammington had been one of the coolest hands in the business. But in the case of Sophia Fleming his touch seemed to have deserted him entirely. His friend's disintegration was painful to watch. He had not yet had time to do more than nod a greeting to Daniel when he had seen him enter the room. Felix wondered what conclusions he had derived from his sojourn in Ireland. Whatever they were, he wryly suspected that Daniel would be seeking him out soon enough.

   Which, of course, was likely to put a time limit on his own affair. His gaze returned to Margaret and, as if in response, she turned to smile up at him, her eyes unconsciously warm, her lips curving invitingly. Regretfully dismissing the appealing notion of creating a riot by kissing her in the midst of the cream of the ton, Felix merely returned the smile and watched as she once more directed her attention to the singer. No, he did not need to worry. She would be his long before her sisters' affairs became pressing.