Chapter 6.1 (Part 1)

Felix took a long sip of his brandy and savoured the smooth warmth as it slid down his throat. He stretched his legs to the fire. The book he had been trying to read rested open, on his thighs, one strong hand holding it still. He moved his shoulders slightly, settling them into the comfort of well padded leather and let his head fall back against the chair.

   It was the first night since the beginning of the Season that he had had a quiet evening at home. And he needed it. Who would have thought his four wards would make such a drastic change in a hitherto well-ordered existence? Then he remembered. He had. But he had not really believed his own dire predictions. And the only reason he was at home tonight was because Sophia, still affected by her brush with Daniel the night before, had elected to remain at home and Margaret had stayed with her. He deemed his aunt Amelia and Marian Winford capable of chaperoning the two younger girls between them. After the previous night, it was unlikely they would allow any liberties.

   Even now, no one had had an accounting of what had actually taken place between Daniel and Sophia. But, knowing Daniel, his imagination has supplied a quantity of detail. He had left Delmere House at noon that day with the full intention of running his lordship to earth and demanding an explanation. He had finally found him at Barton's Shooting Gallery, cupping wafer after wafer with grim precision. One look at his friend's face had been enough to cool his temper. He had patiently waited until Daniel, having dispatched the wafers currently in place, had thrown the pistol down with an oath and turned to him.

   "Don't ask!" Daniel said to him before he even open his mouth. His friend knowing too well the questions he wanted to ask.

   So he had preserved a discreet silence on the subject and together they had rolled about town, eventually ending in Jibb's back parlour, drinking Blue Ruin. Only then had Daniel reverted to the topic occupying both their minds. "I'm leaving town."

   "Oh?" was Felix's simple reaction to his friend's declaration.

   His lordship has run a hand through his perfectly cut golden locks, disarranging them completely, in a gesture Felix had never, in all their years together, seen him use. "Going to Leicestershire. I need a holiday."

   Felix had nodded enigmatically. Lord Daniel's principal estates lay in Leicestershire and always, due to the large number of horses he raised, demanded attention. But in general, his lordship managed to rub his business affairs quoted comfortably from town.

   "No, by God! I've got a better idea. I'll go to Ireland. It's further away."

   As Felix knew, Lord Daniel's brother resides on the family estates in Ireland. Still, he had said nothing, patiently waiting for what he had known would come.

   Daniel has rolled his glass between his hands, studying the swirling liquid with apparent interest. "About Sophia."

   "Mmm?" Felix has kept his own eyes firmly fixed on his glass.

   "I didn't." Daniel answered Felix's unspoken question.

   "Oh?" was all Felix's comment, somewhat laced with disbelief in his friend's failure.

   "No. But I'm not entirely sure she knows what happened." Daniel had drained his glass, using the opportunity to watch Felix work this out.

   Finally, comprehension had dawned. A glimmer of a smile had tugged at the corners of His Grace of Twyford's mouth. "Oh."

   "Precisely. I though I'd leave it in your capable hands."

   "Thank you!" Felix had replied. Then he had groaned and dropped his head into his hands. "How the hell do you imagine I'm going to find out what she believes and then explain it to her if she's wrong?" His mind had boggled at the awful idea.

   "I thought you might work through Miss Fleming," Daniel had returned, grinning for the first time that day.

   Relieved to see his friend smile, even at his expense, Felix had grinned back. "I've not been pushing the pace quite as hard as you. Miss Fleming and I have some way to go before we reach the point where such intimate discussion would be permissible."

   "Oh, well," Daniel has sighed. "I only hope you have a better luck than I."

   "Throwing in the towel?" Felix looked at his friend with sympathy.

   Daniel has shrugged. "I wish I knew." A silence had ensued which Daniel eventually broke. "I've got to get away."

   "How long will you be gone?" Felix enquired.

   Another shrug. "Who knows? As long as it takes, I suppose."