Chapter 3.4

Naturally, Felix felt obliged to join the riding party that afternoon. Between both his and Daniel Hammington's extensive stables, they had managed to assemble suitable mounts for the four girls. Margaret has assured him that, like all country misses, they could ride very well. By the time they gained the Park, he had satisfied himself in that score. At least he need not worry over them losing control of the frisky horses and being thrown. But, as they were all as stunning as he had feared they would be, elegantly gowned in perfectly cut riding habits, his worries had not noticeably decreased.

As they ambled further into the Park, by dint of the simple expedient of reining in his dappled grey, he dropped to the rear of the group, the better to keep the three younger girls in view. Margaret, riding by his side, stayed with him. She threw him a laughing glance but made no comment.

As he had expected, they had not gone more than two hundred years before numbers were swelled by the appearance of Lord Bullock and young Mr. Randall. But neither of these gentlemen seemed able to interrupt the rapport which, Felix's experienced eye, was developing with alarming rapidity between Sophia Fleming and Daniel Hammington. Despite his fears, he grudgingly admitted the Fleming sisters knew a trick or two. Maribella flirted outrageously but did so with all gentlemen, none being able to claim any special consideration. Emma attracted the quarter men and was happy to converse on the matters currently holding the interest of the ton. Her natural shyness and understated youth, combined with her undeniable beauty, was a heady tonic for these more sober gentlemen. As they ventured deeper into the Park, Felix was relieved to fine Sophia giving Daniel no opportunity to lead her apart. Gradually, his watchfulness relaxed. He turned to Margaret.

"Have you enjoyed your first taste of life in London?"

"Yes, thank you," she replied, grey eyes smiling. "Your aunt had been wonderful. I can't thank you enough for all you've done."

Felix's brow closed. As it happened, the last thing he wanted was her gratitude. Here he was, thinking along lines not grossly dissimilar from Daniel's present preoccupation, and the woman chose to thank him, her face free of any worry, thoroughly enjoying the moment. Her presence was oddly calming.

"What plans do you have for the rest of the week?" he asked.

Margaret was slightly surprised by his interest but replied readily. "We've been driving in the Park every afternoon except today. I expect we'll continue to appear, although I rather think, from now in, it will be on horseback." She shot him a measuring glance to see how he would take that. His face was slightly grim but he nodded in acceptance. "Last evening, we went to a small party given by Lady Sterling. Your aunt said there are a few more such gatherings in the next week which we should attend, to give ourselves confidence in society."

Felix nodded again. From the corner of his eye, he saw Sophia avoid yet another of Daniel's invitations to separate from the group. He saw the quick frown which showed fleetingly in his friend's eyes. Serve him right if the woman drove him mad. But, he knew, Daniel was made of sterner stuff. The business of keeping his wards out of the arms of his friends was going to be deucedly tricky. Returning to contemplation of Miss Fleming's delightful countenance, he asked, "Has Aunt Amelia got you vouchers for Almack's yet?"

"Yes. We met Lady Bolton and Lady Copper on our first drive in the Park."

Appreciating his aunt'e sttategy, Felix grinned. "Trust Aunt Amelia."

Margaret returned his smile. "She's been very good to us."

Thinking that the unexpected company of four lovely women must have been a shock to his aunt's system, Felix made a mental note to do anything in his power to please his aunt Hillsborough.

They had taken a circuitous route through the Park and only now approached the fashionable precincts. The small group almost immediately swelled to what, to Felix, were alarming proportions, with every available gentlemen clamouring for an introduction to his beautiful wards. But, to his surprise, at a nod from Margaret, the girls obediently brought their mounts closer and refused every attempt to draw them further from his protective presence. To his astonishment, they all behaved with the utmost decorum, lightened, of course, by their natural liveliness but nevertheless repressively cool to any who imagined them easy targets. Despite his qualms, he was impressed. They continued in this way until they reached the gates of the Park, by which time the group had dwindled to its original size and he could relax again.

He turned to Margaret, still by his side. "Can you guarantee they'll always behave so circumspectly, it was that performance purely for my benefit?" As her laughing eyes met his, he tried to decide whether they were greeny-grey of greyish-green. An intriguing question.

"Oh, we're experienced enough to know which way to jump, I assure you," she returned. After a pause, she continued, her voice lowered so only he could hear. "In the circumstances, we would not willingly do anything to bring disrepute on ourselves. We are very much aware of what we owe you and Lady Hillsborough."

Felix knew he should be pleased at this avowal of good intentions. Instead, he was aware of a curios irritation. He would certainly do everything in his power to reinforce her expressed sentiment with respect to the three girls, but to have Margaret Fleming espousing such ideals was not in keeping with his plans. Somehow, he was going to have to convince her that adherence to all the social structures was not the repayment he, at least, would desire. The unwelcome thought that, whatever the case, she might now consider herself beholden to him, and would, therefore, grant him his wishes out of gratitude, very nearly made him swear aloud. His horse jibbed at the suddenly tightened rein and he paused the disturbing thought aside while he dealt with the grey. Once the horse had settled again, he continued by Margaret's side as they headed back to Mount Street, a distracted frown at the back of his dark blue eyes.