Chapter 2.1 (Part 1)

After Mr. Bailey left, Felix issued a set of rapid and comprehensive orders to his majordomo Gibson. In response, his savants flew to various corners of London, some to Twyford House, others to certain agencies specializing in the hire of household staff to the élite of the ton. One footman was despatched with a note from the Duke to an address in Half Moon Street, requesting the favour of a private interview with his paternal aunt, Lady Hillsborough.

   As Felix had intended, his politely worded missive intrigued his aunt. Wondering what had prompted such a strange request from her reprehensible nephew, she immediately granted it and settled down to await his coming with an air of pleasurable anticipation.

   Felix arrived at the small house shortly after noon. He found his aunt attired in a very becoming gown of purple sarsenet with a new and unquestionably modish wig perched atop her commanding visage. Felix, bowing elegantly before her, eyed the wig askance.

   Amelia Hillsborough sighed. "Well, I suppose I'll have to send it back, if that's the way you feel about it!"

   Felix grinned and bent to kiss the proffered cheek. "Definitely not one of your better efforts, Aunt."

   She snorted. "Unfortunately, I can hardly claim you know nothing about it. It's the very latest fashion, I'll have you know." Felix raised one laconic brow. "Yes, well," continued his aunt, "I dare say you're right. Not quite my style."

   As she waited while he disposed his long limbs in a chair opposite the corner chaise where she sat, propped up by a pile of colourful cushions, she passed a critical glance over her nephew's elegant figure. How he contrived to look so precise when she knew he cared very little how he appeared was more than she could tell. She had heard it said that this man was a genius. Personally, she was of the opinion it was Felix's magnificent physique and dark good looks that carried the day.

   "I hope you're going to satisfy my curiosity without a great deal of roundaboutation."

   "My dear aunt, when have I ever been other than direct?"

   She looked at him shrewdly. "Want a favour, do you? Can't imagine what it is but you'd better be quick about asking. Marian will be back by one and I gather you'd rather not have her listening." Marian Winford was a faded spinster cousin of Lady Hillsborough's who lived with her, filling the post of companion to the fashionable old lady. "I sent her to Gillard's when I got your note," she added in explanation.

   Felix smiled. Of all his numerous relatives, his Aunt Hillsborough, his father's youngest sister, was his favourite. While the rest of them, his mother included, constantly tried to reform him by ringing peaks over him, appealing to his sense of what was acceptable, something he steadfastly denied any knowledge of, Amelia Hillsborough rarely made any comment on his lifestyle of the numerous scandals this provoked. When he had first come on the town, it had rapidly been made plain to his startled family that in Felix they beheld a reincarnation of the second Viscount Delmere. If even half the tales were true, Felix's great grandfather had been a thoroughly unprincipled character, entirely devoid of morals. Lady Hillsborough, recently widowed, had asked Felix to tea and had taken the opportunity to inform him in no uncertain terms of her opinion of his behaviuor. She had then proceeded to outline all his faults, in detail. However, as she had concluded by saying that she fully expected her tirade to have no effect whatsoever on his subsequent conduct, not could she imagine how anyone in their right mind could think it would, Felix had borne the ordeal with an equanimity which would have stunned his friends. She had eventually dismissed him with the words, "Having at least had the politeness to hear me out, you may now depart and continue to go to hell in your own fashion and with my good will."

   Now a widow of many years' standing, she was still a force to be reckoned with. She remained fully absorbed in the affairs of the ton and continued to be seen at all the crushed and every gala event. Felix knee she was as shrewd as she could hold together and, above all, had an excellent sense of humour. All in all, she was just what he needed.

   "I've come to inform you that, along with all the other encumbrances I inherited from Uncle Harry, I seem to have acquired four wards."

   "You?" Lady Hillsborough's rendering of the word was rather more forceful than Miss Fleming's has been.

   Felix nodded. "Me. Four young ladies, one, the only one I've so far set eyes on, as lively a creature as any other likely to be presented this Season."

   "Good God! Who was so besotted as to leave four young girls in your care?" If anything, her ladyship was outraged at the very idea. Then, the full impact of the situation struck her. Her eyes widened. "Oh, good lord!" She collapsed against her cushions, laughing uncontrollably.