Chapter 5.4

Sanity returned to Sophia's mind like water in a bucket, slowing filling from a dripping tap, bit by bit, until it was full. For one long moment, she allowed her mind to remain blank, savouring the pleasure of being held so gently against him. Then, the world returned and demanded her response. She struggled to sit up and was promptly helped to her feet. She checked her gown and found it perfectly tidy, bar one knot of ribbon on her sleeve which seemed to have gone missing.

   Daniel, who had returned to earth long before, had been engaged in some furious thinking. But, try as he might, he could not imagine how she would react. Like Felix, it had been a long time since young virgins had been his prey. As she stood, he tried to catch a glimpse of her face in the dim light but she perversely kept it averted. In the end, he caught her hands and drew her to stand before him. "Sweetheart, are you all right?"

   Strangely enough, it was the note of sincerity in his voice which snapped Sophia's control. Her head came up and, even in the darkness, her eyes flashed fire. "Of course I'm not all right! How dare you take advantage of me?"

   She saw Daniel's face harden at her words and, in fury at his lack of comprehension, she slapped him.

   For a minute, absolute silence reigned. Then a sob broke from Sophia's she turned away, her head bent to escape the look on Daniel's face.

   Darcy, slamming a door in his emotions, so turbulent that even he had no idea what he felt, moved to rescue them both. In a voice totally devoid of all feeling, he said, "We had better get back to the house."

   In truth, neither had any idea how long they had been absent. In silence, they walked side by side, careful not to touch each other, until, eventually, the terrace was reached. Sophia, crying but determined not to let the tears fall, blinked hard, then mounted the terrace steps by Daniel's side. At the top, he turned to her. "It would be better, I think, if you went in first."

   Sophia, head bowed, nodded and went.

   Margaret and Felix regained the ballroom and both glanced around for their party. Almost immediately, Emma appeared by her sister's side on the arm of one of her youthful swains. She prettily thanked him and dismissed him before turning to her sister and their guardian. "Sophia came back just after you left to look for her. She and Lady Hillsborough and Mrs. Winford have gone home."

   "Oh?" It was Felix's voice which answered her. "Why?"

   Emma cast a questioning look at Margaret and received a nod in reply. "Sophia was upset about something."

   Felix was already scanning the room when Emma's voice reached him. "Lord Daniel came in a little while after Sophia. He's left now, too."

   With a sigh, Felix realized there was nothing more to be done that night. They collected Maribella and departed Langdon House. Margaret silently considering Sophia's problem and Felix wondering if he was going to have to wait until his friend solved his dilemma before he would be free to settle his own affairs.