Chapter 12.1 (Part 1)

Sophia wrinkled her nose at the piece of cold toast lying on her plate. Pushing it away, she leaned back in her chair and surveyed her elder sister. With her copper curls framing her expressive face, Margaret sat at the other end of the small table in the breakfast-room, a vision of palest cerulean blue. A clearly distracted vision. A slight frown had settled in the greeny eyes, banishing the lively twinkle normally lurking there. She sighed, apparently unconsciously, as she stared at her piece of toast, as cold and untouched as Sophia's, as if concealed in its surface were the answers to all unfathomable questions. Sophia was aware of s guilty twinge. Had Felix cut up stiff and Margaret not told them?

   They had all risen early, being robust creatures and never having got into the habit of lying abed, and had gathered in the breakfast parlour to examine their success of the night before. That it had been a complete and unqualified success could not have been divined from their faces; all of them had looked drawn and peaked. While Sophia knew the cause of her own unhappiness, and had subsequently learned of her younger sisters' reasons for despondency, she had been and still was at a loss to explain Margaret's similar mood. She had been in high feather at the ball. Then Felix has left early, an unusual occurrence which had made Sophia wonder if they had had a falling-out. But her last sight of them together, when he had taken leave of Margaret in the ballroom, had not supported such a fancy. They had looked...well, intimate. Happily so. Thoroughly immersed in each other. Which, thought the knowledgeable Sophia, was not especially like either of them. She sent a sharp glance to the other end of the table.

   Margaret's bloom had gradually faded and she had been as silent as the rest of them during the drive home. This morning, on the stairs, she had had to make things much worse. They had always agreed that Margaret would have to be told immediately after the event. That had always been their way, ever since they were small children. No matter the outcome, Margaret could be relied on to predict unerringly the potential ramifications and to protect her sisters from any unexpected repercussions. This morning, as they had recounted to her their plan and its execution, she had paled. When they had come to a faltering halt, she had, uncharacteristically, told them in a quiet voice to wait as they were while she communicated their deeds to their guardian forthwith. She had explained nothing. Rising from the table without so much as a sip of her coffee, she had immediately called for the carriage and departed for Delmere House.

   She had returned an hour and a half later. They had not left the room; Margaret's orders, spoken in that particular tone, were not to be dismissed lightly. In truth, each sunk in gloomy contemplation of her state, they had not noticed the passage of time. Margaret had re-entered the room, calmly resumed her seat and accepted the cup of coffee Maribella had hastily poured for her. She had fortified herself from this before explaining to them, in quite unequivocal terms, just how close they had come to creating a hellish tangle. It had never occurred to them that someone might see Helen departing and, drawing the obvious conclusion, inform Felix of the fact, especially in such a public manner. They had been aghast at the realization of how close to the edge of scandal they had come and were only too ready to behave as contritely as Margaret wished. However, all she had said was, "I don't really think there's much we should do. Thankfully, Maribella, your gadding about as Anna Kripinski ensured that everyone knows you did not elope from the ball. I suppose we could go riding." She had paused, then added, "But I really don't feel like it this morning."

   They had not disputed this, merely shaken their heads to convey their agreement. After a moment of silence, Margaret had added, "I think Felix would expect us to behave as if nothing had happened, other than there being some ridiculous tale about that Bella had eloped. You'll have to admit, I suppose, that you swapped dominos with Helen Fletcher, but that could have been done in all innocence. And remember to show due interest in the surprising tale that Helen left the ball with Sir Jack." An unwelcome thought reared its head. "Will the Norwood girls have the sense to keep their mouth shut?"

   They had hastened to assure her on this point. "Why, it was all for Antonia's sake, after all," Emma had pointed out.

   Margaret had not been entirely convinced but had been distracted by Maribella. Surmising from Margaret's use of her shortened name that the worst was over, she had asked, "Is Felix very annoyed with us?"

   Margaret had considered the question while they had all hung, unexpectedly nervous, on her answer. "I think he's resigned, now that it's all over and no real harm done, to turn a blind eye to your misdemeanours. However, if I were you, I would not be going out of my way to bring myself to his notice just at present."