Chapter 9.1 (Part 2)

For Maribella, the distraction of Sir Jack came at an opportune time in her juggling of Sir Jerome and Mr. Overend. It formed no part of her plans for either of these gentlemen to become too particular. And while her sober and earnest consideration of their suits had, she knew, stunned and puzzled Lord Byron, who watched with a still sceptical eye, her flirtation with Sir Jack had brought a strange glint to his hazel orbs.

In truth, Henry had been expecting Maribella to flirt outrageously with her court in an attempt to make him jealous and force a declaration. He had been fully prepared to sit idly by, watching her antics from the sidelines with his usual sleepily amused air, waiting for the right moment to further her seduction. But her apparent intention to settle for a loveless marriage had thrown him. It was not a reaction he had expected. Knowing what he did of Maribella, he could not stop himself from thinking what a waste it would be. True, as the wife of a much older man, she was likely to be even more receptive to his own suggestions of a discreet if illicit relationship. But the idea of her well-endowed charms being brutishly enjoyed by either of her ageing suitors set his teeth on edge. Her sudden pursuit of Sir Jack Finley, in what he was perceptive enough to know was not her normal style, seriously troubled him, suggesting as it did some deeper intent. He wondered whether she knew what she was about. The fact that she continued to encourage Finley despite Twyford's clear disapproval further increased his unease.

Maribella, sensing his perturbation, continued to tread the difficult path she had charted, one eye on him, the other on her guardian, encouraging Sir Jack with one hand while using the other to hold back Sir Jerome and Mr. Overend. As she confessed to her sisters one morning, it was exhausting work.

Little by little, she gained ground with Sir Jack, their association camouflaged by her sisters' ploys. On the way back to the knot of their friends, having satisfactorily twirled around Lady Trouville's ballroom, Maribella and Sir Jack were approached by a little lady, all in brown.

Sir Jack stiffened.

The unknown lady blushed. "How do you do?" she said, taking in both Maribella and Sir Jack in her glance. "I'm Helen Fletcher," she explained helpfully to Maribella, then, turning to Sir Jack, said, "Hello, Jack," in quite the most wistful tone Maribella had ever heard.

Under Maribella's interested gaze, Sir Jack became tongue-tied. He perforce bowed over the small hand held out to him and managed to say, "Mr. Fletcher's estates border mine."

Maribella's eyes switched to Helen Fletcher. "My father," she supplied.

Sir Jack suddenly discovered someone he had to exchange a few words with and precipitately left them. Maribella looked down into Miss Fletcher's large eyes, brown, of course, and wondered. "Have you lately come to town, Miss Fletcher?"

Helen Fletcher drew her eyes from Sir Jack's departing figure and dispassionately viewed the beauty before her. What she saw in the frank hazel eyes prompted her to reply, "Yes. I was...bored at home. So my father suggested I come to London for a few weeks. I'm staying with my aunt, Lady Crestlow."

Maribella was only partly satisfied with this explanation. Candid to a fault, she put the question in her mind. "Pardon me, Miss Fletcher, but are you and Sir Jack...?"

Miss Fletcher's wistfulness returned. "No. Oh, you're right in thinking I want him. But Jack had other ideas. I've known him from the cradle, you see. And I suppose familiarity breeds contempt." Suddenly realizing t whom she was speaking, she blushed and continued, "Not that I could hope to hold a candle to the London beauties, of course."

Her suspicions confirmed, Maribella merely laughed and slipped an arm through Miss Fletcher's. "Oh, I shouldn't let that bother you, my dear." As she said the word, it occurred to her that, if anything, Sir Jack was uncomfortable an awkward when faced with beautiful women, as evidenced by his behaviour with either herself or Antonia. It was perfectly possible that some of his apparent conceit would drop away when he felt less threatened; for instance, in the presence of Miss Fletcher.

Miss Fletcher had stiffened at Maribella's touch and her words. Then, realizing the kindly intent behind them, she relaxed. "Well, there's no sense in deceiving myself. I suppose I shouldn't say so, but Jack and I were in a fair way to being settled before he took this latest notion of looking about before he made up his mind irrevocably. I sometimes think it was simply fear of tying the knot that did it."

"Very likely," Maribella laughingly agreed as she steered Miss Fletcher in the direction of her sisters.

"My papa was furious and said I should give him up. But I convinced him to let me come to London, to see how things stood. Now, I suppose, I may as well go home."

"Oh, on no account should you go home yet awhile, Miss Fletcher!" said Maribella, a decider twinkle in her eye. "May I call you Helen? Helen, I'd like you to meet my sisters."