Chapter 29

Flashback

Young Rose Red and Young Snow White entered the main chamber of King Leopold's castle, where Queen Eva, their mother, was consulting with several women. Young Snow White was dressed in a pink, sparkly ball gown and Young Rose Red was dress in a red, sparkly ball gown.

"Let's be certain she's seated as far away from the Duke as possible, for the Duchess' sake," Queen Eva said.

"Yes, ma'am," A woman said and they left.

"Do you like them?" Young Snow White asked.

Queen Eva turned and smiled, "Oh, my dear Snow, my sweet Rose. You two are absolute visions. You two are going to be the talk of the ball, and just because it's your birthday," They hugged briefly, "Come. I can hardly believe you're growing up so fast. Which reminds me..." Queen Eva looked at Young Rose Red, "I have a gift for you. It was my mother's once, and her mother's before that. And soon, it will be yours," Queen Eva said.

"Mine?" Young Rose Red questioned.

"It's handed down the eldest princess," Queen Eva said.

In another room, a diamond tiara sat in a padded box. Johanna picked it up and placed it on her head then she admired herself in the mirror.

"Johanna," Queen Eva called out.

"It's that the present?" Young Rose Red asked.

"Oh! Oh, Your Majesty," She removed the tiara, "Oh, please forgive me. I just wanted to see-," Johanna began to say.

"How dare you?" Young Snow White approached her, "That's my sister's. It's not for a servant," Young Snow White said and Young Rose Red looked surprised.

"It was my mistake," Johanna said as she put the tiara back in the padded box.

"Servants don't wear crowns," Young Snow White said.

"Enough," Queen Eva said.

"I'm sorry, Your Majesty-," Johanna began to say.

"No, I was talking to Snow," Queen Eva said.

She turned to her mother in surprise, "Me?" Young Snow White questioned.

"I thought I raised you than that, Snow. It doesn't matter whether one is a servant or royalty. Everyone in the kingdom deserves our love and respect," Queen Eva said.

"But she took my sister's tiara-," Young Snow White said.

"She apologised. And it isn't your sister's yet," Queen Eva said.

"Your Majesty, it's alright," Johanna said.

"You're kind, Johanna, but Snow must learn. My dear, we are all the same," Queen Eva said.

"But I thought we were royals," Young Snow White same in confusion.

"We are, but that doesn't make us better than anyone else. The upcoming ball, for instance, can you tell me what it's for?" Queen Eva asked.