𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

❉━━━━━━❈✾❈━━━━━━❉

❉━━━━━━❈✾❈━━━━━━❉

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐒𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐕𝐘 𝐃𝐎𝐎𝐑𝐒 opening, caused a tense silence to fall over the frost-covered courtyard. Those beyond the great hall didn't dare to move or breathe; not the group of Hogwarts' students waiting outside the gate, not Ella and Vittoria whose bows rested meaningless in their hands, not even Darkan who awaited Malanix' orders and the Archenlander seemed as frozen as Mina upon the balcony.

Malanix' gaze moved between Caspian and the quaint sight below her as Peter, Caolán and Lucy struggled to get Aslan down the stairs and out of Cair Paravel. One strong gust of wind and they would collapse under the lion's weight.

'I must admit,' the Winter Lady began, her voice slithering like an ice snake through the still air while a smirk played around her lips. 'I did not expect Aslan's rescue to look like this.'

'Neither did we,' Edmund commented, eyeing his siblings and Caolán shuffling towards them. They had been supposed to leave the same way they had sneaked into the castle, and Phoenix, Giulia and Elodie were nowhere in sight. He wanted to rush to Peter's side, to help them with carrying Aslan, but although Darkan allowed the trio and lion to move, his unnatural blue eyes trailed in a menacing manner over Edmund.

Caspian strengthened and loosened his grip around the hilt of his sword, shifting uneasy from one side to another. Their plan was definitely not going as they had intended. However, his attention shot back to Malanix when she laughed shortly.

'Then, you confess this was part of your scheme all along. Treachery and deceptions, I am offended. You dare to come to my doorstep, to challenge me to a single combat while you're conspiring to sneak the great lion behind my back. Tell me, little Kings,' Malanix said as she raised her arms above her head and a whirlwind of ice and snow appeared around her.

The whirlwind transformed into dozens of sharp icicles and hovered behind her body in a gruesome form of a halo. With a flick of her hand, the pointed ends of the icicles turned towards those below on the courtyard and beyond the gate. The icicles were translucent against the sky, almost like glass.

'Tell me,' Malanix repeated, 'why shouldn't I impale you all where you're standing?'

'No, you can't!' Ella blurted out, pushing Oliver's shield away to look at the Winter Lady ─ if Malanix decided to unleash the icicles, Ella bet not even the shield could stop it. With the adrenaline rushing through her veins, though, Ella's mind worked faster than ever.

'You said you brought us to Narnia,' Ella said, remembering Malanix' words from before. 'You must have had a reason, and whatever that may have been, we will be no use to you if we are dead.' Ella's eyes flickered towards Peter when he was merely a couple of feet away from them, she wished she could silently ask him where her best friend was, but droplets of sweat streamed down his face as he, Lucy and Caolán heaved the great lion's body with them. Peter needed all of his concentration to not topple over and he ignored her stare.