Chapter 1.5

CHAPTER XIV

TSUBAKI'S   POINT   OF   VIEW

TSUBAKI'S POINT OF VIEW

The next morning, nothing was said about what had transpired. I didn't know to be grateful or awkward about it, especially when my twin sat across from me giving subtle looks expressing he had the same thoughts. Mom and dad pretended to carry on, as usual, greeting us for breakfast before talking about work. Though they were smiling, and mom still scolded Shikamaru and I whenever we ate too fast, the elephant in the room was becoming suffocating. Finally, I stood up, pressing quick kisses to both parents' cheeks, grabbing Shikamaru's arm as I made a quick bolt out of there.

"We're going to go see Choji! We'll be back by lunchtime," I hurriedly called, messily draping my scarf over myself. Shikamaru followed suit albeit disorientedly. He kept hissing unapprovingly when I tried nudging him to hurry up. Because he took his sweet time, mom managed to catch us at the entrance.

"Tsu, maybe you should stay in today and rest a bit-"

"I'm fine, mom! Really! Hanging out with friends and getting fresh air is perfect! We promise to be careful." The moment Shikamaru stood up from tying his boots, we were out the door. My hand keeping a firm grip on his wrist the entire time. Mom called after us to be careful and stay at the Akimichi residency if it started to snow again.

I released a heavy huff of relief, staring up at the first clear skies these past few days. Just in time for tomorrow's festival. People within the Nara Clan seemed to have the same idea as they started setting up small decorations around their homes and prepared goods to sell at the market.

A sharp tug backward nearly sent me falling on my bum. I looked over at Shikamaru confusedly. "What're you frowning about?"

"Let go of my wrist, troublesome woman," he said flatly. Realizing I did indeed maintain a vice grip on his limp wrist, I let go with a sheepish smile. He seemed less amused when rubbing the sore joint. "What was that back at the house?"

"What was what," I played off, teetering back and forth on my heels whilst whistling innocently.

He rolled his eyes. "You know what, Tsu. Why'd you run us out of there like there was a house fire?"

"I'm just eager to see Choji! It's been a while."

"That's the lie you want to go with?"

After a few moments, I finally sighed in defeat. Shikamaru could be persistent when he wanted to be. Unfortunately, it was always whenever it proved bothersome for me. "I just wanted to leave. It felt uncomfortable not talking about what happened. I know you're hiding something from me - you lied back when I asked what else I said in my sleep."