Chapter 1.0

CHAPTER X

TSUBAKI'S   POINT   OF   VIEW

TSUBAKI'S POINT OF VIEW

'D-Did I lose him?' My laboring breathing was all I could hear. It was getting harder to run in the growing snow. Soon it would be impossible to see which way was right. The harsh winds that grew more and more mercilessly made me shake like a leaf. For now, I quickly huddled inside a hollow tree while my clone went elsewhere to make new tracks. The forest remained silent for what felt like forever.

My limbs grew stiff from staying still for so long. Warm soup or even a blanket would have been a miraculous answer to my small prayers. Using my chakra flow to keep my body from going into a stage of hypothermia was all I could manage on my own.

I couldn't risk doing anything right now with Takuma still possibly tracking me. He has gone on the defense and has kept his presence hidden very well.

On my way deeper into this labyrinth of snow-covered trees, I would only catch glimpses of his presence. My need to focus on keeping my body warm interfered with how accurately I could pinpoint him. The other two goons were either helping him find me or were racing to catch up to Hinata (if they already realized I lured their moronic boss away with a clone).

'Hinata-chan...I hope she got to the reinforcements in time. What're these guys thinking anyways? Weren't they coming to break peace with our village? Does this mean their aim this whole time was Hina-chan?' The harder I thought about the less this crisis made any sense. Kidnapping Hinata, the daughter of a prominent family of Konoha, would be seen as an act of war. Out of the 5 Great Shinobi Nations, Konoha manages the largest region of land; our military was also nothing to sneeze at.

I vaguely remember dad mentioning that the village was last in conflict with Kumogakure before the end of the last Shinobi War. For quite a few years we've been going back and forth - one nation trying to prove who was bigger, stronger, wealthier. Trying to add more wood to a fire they were being consumed by wasn't logical.

'Why then? Think...think...' Nothing was coming. It was the first time my mind was running a blank. It was scary not knowing what to do or if I was going to be able to think my way out of this one. There was always a plan B. Always another step to follow in case things went sideways.

This time, I admitted that I overestimated my abilities. Chakra running low, no way of getting back without being caught, and my health becoming a heavy tax on my physical capabilities - things were turning out for the worst. Dad would know exactly what to do. He was smarter than me when it came to secretive stuff like this. I've never had real combat experience.

A sliver of fear wormed its way into my nerves. All the adrenaline that had been running through my veins gradually dying out now. If I didn't get out of this forest by sunrise I was going to be a popsicle. And even before that, I could be captured by Takuma or eaten by a wild animal.