Chapter 0.2

CHAPTER II

TSUBAKI'S   POINT   OF   VIEW

TSUBAKI'S POINT OF VIEW

Morning came and my hearing went. Mom's voice when she was angry was like nails on a chalkboard. From the other side of the thin wall was the loud thump of my brother falling out of bed and his low-pained groan. Getting up was never an easy process. Not when warm blankets stared so invitingly from their perfectly creased position on the soft, cushiony, cloud. I gathered all my strength to reduce its siren call, rushing to get ready, and zipping down the corridor to find breakfast already served. Dad wasn't present meaning he probably went on a mission.

Mom studied my face carefully. She assaulted me with a wet finger brushing at the skin on the side of my mouth. "Mom, stop," I whined, pushing her away, "I'm not a baby anymore! I washed my face just fine."

She grinned lopsidedly. "You're always going to be my baby." Her lips laid a gentle kiss on my forehead. Despite all my arguing over not wanting to receive such embarrassing treatment, I could not deny it left a warm, fuzzy feeling in my stomach. Shikamaru came trudging in just in time for mom to return to her strict self. "Shikamaru, don't slouch! A man doesn't slouch. Make sure you guys take your bentos before you leave. I'll be working at the clinic late so wait for your father to come pick you up."

    "Okay," we chorused, scarfing down the homemade food.

Mom might've been a harsh discipliner, but her cooking was undoubtedly the best in Konoha. So many flavors exploded into a fusion of deliciousness. And, to make it even more filling, the majority of the ingredients used came from my very own greenhouse just behind the clinic. I grew plenty of fruits and vegetables, as well as medical herbs.

Finding new ways to get kids to eat their vitamins and easier methods of oral prescription for elderly was the original purpose for its existence. From the things I grew in the greenhouse I created new culinary dishes, teas, and even caramelized candies. They were a big hit! 

"Hey, Tsu," Shikamaru sat aside his half-eaten food, "I heard from Ino that you got into another argument with an adult yesterday."

My eyes widened. I leaned over the table clumsily trying to keep him from speaking too loudly. If mom learned I was responsible for another public disturbance there'd be hell to pay. I've already used up my strikes with her this week. A fourth would not be tolerated. "Tell the whole world, why don't you? And it wasn't that big of a deal. Some guy was picking on Naruto. What else was I supposed to do?"

"You can't keep defending him, Tsubaki. At some point, he's going to have to stand up for himself. I don't like it either, but that's the way things are."

Shikamaru wasn't speaking out of ill-will for Naruto. He was speaking to me in a logical sense. There was no way of changing the way the villagers treated Naruto; not without the cause of it being known. Me involving myself wasn't going to solve anything. It'd only give Naruto a small reprieve from being detested.