Chapter 1.6

CHAPTER XVI

THIRD   POINT   OF   VIEW

THIRD POINT OF VIEW

Tsubaki chose not to go home right away. Her rendezvous at the forest had created taunting questions that would not leave unless answered. Shikamaru and the gang were nowhere to be found when she journeyed through the village. Mostly adults setting up their stalls or decorations for tomorrow's festival's occupied the snow shoveled streets. Everyone looked full of excitement, but all she could muster was dread.

That weighted feeling increased tenfold when she stood in front of the Third Hokage's office. Before getting a chance to knock, it had been pulled wide open by a man whose face is covered in clean bandages. His only revealed eye steered down to the small person in his way. Tsubaki felt unease around this man; something eerie about the way he inspected her.

Her gaze trailed down to where his right arm stayed hidden within his attire. Something felt...unnatural.

"Excuse me."

"Ah, sorry." She quickly stepped out of his way to let him past, his one guard paid her no mind, following his master close behind. Tsubaki watched them leave, missing the devil's smirk that had curled on the man's lips. Brushing the skeptical sensation, she proceeded inside to stand before the Third Hokage's desk.

The old man had known it to be her. She always possessed a calming aura that seemed to manifest in the very air. It put him at ease and on guard simultaneously. He continued scribbling on pieces of parchment, barely registering what was being proposed in ink. Something felt different with her today, almost forbearing. Like a well-seasoned shogi player assessing her opponent's next move.

When she gave no indication starting, he set aside his work. "Tsubaki, what a surprise to see you here. What can I do for you?"

"Third Hokage-sama...may I speak honestly?" Her voice came out colder than she anticipated but made no moves to correct it. Right now, if she could see the stoic expression on her face, she wouldn't care. Was she made? Yes. At the Hokage? It was difficult to say.

Lord Third pretended not to notice, smiling as usual. "I've never known you to hold back. What would you like to take to me about?"

"I don't think it's strange for people to use whatever around them is useful. Since the first moment you asked me to be your eyes and ears through small favors, I have never trusted you. I know you're the type to use any methods necessary, but all of your choices are for the sake of the village."

She watched different emotions flicker across his hooded gaze. Shadows beginning to bleed through the floors, the walls, the space in between them. Turning the room cold and stifling. "Did something happen?"

"I just wanted to make our relationship clear. The only reason I do the things you ask is because I know where your interest lies. I may be a child, but I'm not stupid. Why do you need me to spy on the Uchiha Clan if you already have someone inside working under you?"