CHAPTER ONE

Present day

Present day...

"Big news today for all rugby enthusiasts! Leicester Tigers transferred Miles Clay over to The Stormers this morning, allegedly for a whopping one million! The club hasn't confirmed if he will go this season or next when his contract ends out, but all in all, it's a very sad day for the Tigers!"

I shut off the television. Furious beyond words. So, they transferred him, did they?

News to me!

I pull out my phone and furiously start texting Miles, picking up the line as soon as he calls. It's always the same way with him. I'm the last to know on everything.

"Sweetheart, I'm just about to head out for training. Everything okay?" he asks in that honey rich tone of his that has me forgetting what I'm angry about for a minute until I catch sight of the newspaper near my feet.

"You're transferring to South Africa?"

There's a long moment of silence. It's awkward and says everything I need to know before he even speaks. "They printed the story already?"

This hurts. To know he was already expecting for the news to break without telling me. "So, when were you going to share the news with me?"

He sighs. "Soon. I swear it. We just haven't spent enough time with each other to bring it up."

I use the arm of the sofa to pull myself up to my feet. "I know you're busy and there is always a grey area concerning us, but this hurts me, Miles. I'm having your children. Can't I be at least be a bit of your priority?"

The low curse words he lets out mean he's realising something. "Jesus. You are my priority, Chiara. I'm sorry for leaving you in the dark. It's been a hectic few weeks."

I sigh. "So, where does this leave us? Are you moving over there permanently?"

"I can't be sure right now," he replies, something strange in his voice.

I put him on speakerphone and go to grab the mail the postal worker just put through the door, leafing through the letters as I try to extinguish the tears.

"Chiara?" he asks, breathing deeper down the line. "Chi, sweetheart, you all right?"

My wobbly vision lands on a letter from the hospital, confirming my latest ultrasound appointment. If he has to move away, will he bring us with him? Is that him confirming I will have to do this alone?

"I am fine." I clear my throat, squeezing my eyes tight together. "I have to go. Talk to you later, okay?"

"No, wait," Miles says, but I cancel the call before he gets the chance to say anything else.

I need to keep busy, so I grab my walking shoes and earphones. There's a route right by my house that leads to an enormous meadow of wild flowers and long grass which is owned by my boss.