CHAPTER SIXTEEN

"I love you

"I love you."

My eyes peel open to the sight of Miles on his back, arm resting behind his head as he stares down at me resting on his chest. His lips touching my forehead, limbs wrapped tight around me.

I jolt a bit, rolling off him to go check on the girls. There's a slight resistance as he's reluctant to let me go. When I reach in to stroke my babies bellies as they watch me sleepily, Miles shuffles to press up against my side. Tiny prickles spreading across my face from his warm breath when he rests his chin on my shoulder.

"Are they awake?" he asks.

"Yes."

That's all it takes for him to climb towards the end of the bed, rushing towards the crib to bend over it and dip in to pull out Katie. I watch silently when he lifts her close to his face to kiss all over her sleepy face, absorbing all the scent he can while she's happy to be held.

The pyjama bottoms hang low on his hips to show off the defined muscles in his stomach where a piece of clingfilm sticking to his right ribcage grabs my attention. The contrast of colours behind it not very visible without my glasses. When I fix them on my face after grabbing them from the bedside cabinet, he spots me staring. A bright smile spreading across his face.

"Come get a better look, baby."

"What did you do?" I ask, pulling on his arm so he's forced closer.

He turns to give me a better look, starting to peel the film off. I definitely gasp... which only makes him smile harder. It's a realism tattoo of a Lion nuzzling his Lioness as two beautiful cubs play near them. My eyes find his and he tells me to take a closer look. My Family. The words are somehow woven into the picture. It's absolutely stunning.

"I know my past behaviour will make you nervous to trust me, but I'm so ready to prove myself to you. I'm here, baby. Any way you'll have me."

When my throat becomes impossibly dry, I clear it. "It's time for the girls morning feed."

The disappointment on his face breaks my heart. It's not so easy to give him all the answers right this second. My head a mess of conflicting emotions. Ones I don't particularly want to start working out.

Miles places Katie on my chest, going back for Gabriella while I unbutton my pyjama top to let her hungry little mouth latch on. Once Gabby gets on my chest, she squeaks in excitement, pulling a deep chuckle from Miles. I close my eyes and relish on the strong sense of love pushing through me, and when my eyes peel back open, I find Miles has stepped out of the room.

I still can't believe he's here, it seeming like a dream last night. The floorboards creak at his weight as he appears with a glass of fresh orange juice and a bottle of fizzy water. I take the juice gratefully, swallowing my iron supplement and postnatal multivitamin before guzzling at the fizzy water.