CHAPTER TWELVE

Present day

Present day...

I play a shit game. My head isn't on the pitch; it's with Chiara and the ridiculous mistake I just made. What the fuck am I thinking? Of course I want to be with her.

The girl is my everything. I don't think I have ever loved anyone as hard as I love her. My world is a lot brighter for her being in it, and now I ruined everything.

"You all right, Miles?" asks my coach, but I'm already on my way out.

Thanks to the boys we won 190-13, a cracking score, but I'm not in the mood for celebrating. I'm too busy going over my apology speech. It wouldn't surprise me if she refuses to speak to me, but like hell will I give up.

I shake my head. "No. I need to go."

He frowns. "This is your last game with us and we won. It's time to celebrate, mate."

"I need to get to Chiara," I say, throwing my bag over my shoulder to crash out of there without another word.

I call her, but get her answerphone, so I leave a message: "Oh, god, Chi. Oh, god, baby. What have I done? I'm sorry. I'm so damn sorry. I love you. I just got scared, okay? Have been so scared. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Please answer me so I can make things right. Please?"

My bags land in the back of my truck, head whipping around at the sounds of my name. I frown as my mum approaches me, noticing the foam hand dangling from her fingers.

"You did so good, son," she says, pulling me to her.

I frown. "You were here?"

"Yes!" She's still buzzing from the excitement. "Chiara gave me her ticket. I'm not sure why she couldn't come, but she didn't want you to be alone."

My lungs feel like they're about to collapse and everything goes blurry. "She did?"

Mum is so shocked by the tears in my eyes, she rushes towards me. "Oh, darling."

"I messed up," I croak.

"Miles," she says when my shoulders start shaking. "What on earth happened?"

I tell her everything, and when she drags me to her chest, I lose it. The shame I feel right now is real. And I need to suck it up because my choices have put me here.

"I had no idea you were feeling this way," she says, smoothing my hair back. "But, Miles you've been given a gift in Chiara and those babies. Come on! Don't be so defeated. You can make this right, love."

Her words soothe me somehow and pour gasoline on the my sudden need to prove myself wrong. Bad stuff happens, it can't be controlled, but Chiara is right when she says losing them will feel way worse.

"I love her, mum," I say, and she gives me a look which says she already knows. "It actually hurts. Is that normal?"

Her hand rests on my cheek, smiling. "I know you do. And when it hurts? It's the best kind."