CHAPTER ELEVEN

Present Day

Present Day...

I need to go home. I book the first flight I can find in the taxi ride back to the apartment. It feels like my second home at this point for the time I spend at Miles's house.

Tony opens the door and drags my sobbing body into his arms. I called him on the way back, beside myself, so he rushed back from work.

"Let's sit down," he says, leading us to the sitting area. My legs feel like jelly. "Now cry, baby. Let it all out."

I do. I sob so hard I almost make myself sick. All the while, Tony rocks my body. Ten minutes later, I'm dithering, so he wraps me in a blanket and goes to make me some hot tea.

The sweetness from the peach green tea hydrates my dry mouth perfectly. "I am sorry you had to leave work early."

Tony makes a dismissive noise. "Baby, I own the place. I do as I please."

I laugh. "Fair enough."

My hand goes to settle on Tony's when he strokes my belly. "How's my little darlings in there?"

"Sleeping, I think," I say, sipping my tea.

He fidgets around to get comfortable. "So, your flight is in three hours?"

"Yes, I got the last seat," I say.

The need to get away has never been so strong. Once I'm on the plane, I can relax and start looking after myself. My sweet baby girls are my priority now.

Tony drinks the last of his tea and sets it on the side cabinet. "Do you want me to pack for you? I can drive you to the airport."

"Are you sure?" I don't ask again when he tells me it's what he needs to do, so I list off a few items, knowing I can buy what I need once I'm there. "Thank you, Tony."

He smiles. "I got you. I wish we never set you up with the bastard. I have always thought he was a nice guy."

"He is a nice guy," I find myself saying, not enjoying the thought of Tony bad mouthing him. "Just a confused and scared one."

"Too little too late," he says, disappearing into my bedroom.

While he packs for me, I pull up Gene's number. 

Chiara - I have two spare tickets to Miles's game. Do you want them?

The response is instant.

Gene - Oh, yes! We aren't usually allowed to go because he sees it as bad luck. What did you do to change his mind lol

Chiara - Then they're yours. I know he will be pleased to see you. I will email over info. Just show them the barcode at the gates.

Gene - We can pick you up on the way, love. Just message your address

Tears fill my eyes.