CHAPTER TWO

Past

Past...

I would never usually agree to a blind date. It isn't the first time my friends have tried to set me up, either, but after my last dating disaster, I think it's best to leave my judgment alone for a while and to trust someone else to find my Mr. Right.

"Fuck me. You look stunning," says my friend Ebony when I walk out of the bathroom to show them the final result.

Tony's eyes go all huge as he rolls them up and down my body. "You are so getting laid tonight, gorgeous girl."

"Oh, stop," I say, hurrying over to the couch to collect my clutch bag and keys.

Ebony can't seem to stop her grinning. "We're not joking around. Chi, you look like you just walked out of a Versace campaign. Like, how do you get your arse so balloon-like?"

I laugh. "Just what my mama gave me." My lipgloss is in the corner of my bag when I fish around for it. "I'm definitely meeting him at the new restaurant on the harbour?"

The food looks incredible there and it's already flooding in with five-star reviews , so if anything goes wrong, at least we will be getting a good meal tonight.

Ebony nods. "Yes, that's the one."

Tiny flurries of excitement course through me, but it's hard to tell the difference between the nerves tonight.

"Oh, gosh, I need a nervous wee again," I say, hurrying into the bathroom to do my business and wash my hands.

Ebony greets me with a spritz of perfume when I surface, smoothing a hand down my curly hair. "You truly are beautiful, Chi. Inside and out. Go get him."

My smile is on the side of caution when I realise time is almost up. My taxi will be here at any minute. Do I need another pee?

I put my hand on my friends shoulder, looking deep into her eyes. "Do you promise I won't end up in that harbour tonight?"

Ebony laughs. "No! Oh, babe, don't be ridiculous. Miles is just your type. And a total gentleman."

Okay... here goes.

Tony disappears for a moment, rushing back to me before I reach the front door. "Take a condom with you."

"That's a bit presumptuous, isn't it? This is a first blind date. It could turn out horribly," I say, slightly outraged, tugging the door open with no intention of taking what he's giving out.

He lifts his eyebrows. "Please, take this with you. You'll need it."

"Oh," I snatch it to shut him up, stuffing it way down. Further than the lipgloss. "Wish me luck."

They do and the entire way to the restaurant, I second guess if going here is a good idea. I mean, how often do blind dates turn out well, anyway?