CHAPTER EIGHT

Present day

Present day...

Miles wakes me up from my three-hour nap, coming to sit down on the bed next to me. When I smile up at him, he bends down to kiss my face, sealing his fingers through mine.

"I have some news," he says, clearing his throat. "I just got my referral date from The Stormers. They want me in Cape Town by November fourth."

I look at him, because if I say something now, I'll either cry or scream at him. It's not unknown to me he wants to do this alone. A long while passes with us staring at each other, him desperately trying to say the right thing.

You can feel the nerves rolling off him.

"I'm coming with you," I say, squeezing his hand.

He sighs. "Chiara."

The silence following says it all. If he is training out there for two months, then there is no reason for me not to be out there with him. My pregnancy is low risk, and everything has been perfect up until now.

"This is my job," he says, firmly. "It is not something I can take lightly. A lot of money is invested in me. I need all of my focus to be on that pitch," he says.

I nod. "I know and understand. I will be no trouble. I swear to you. To support you is all I want."

"I know," he says on a breath, pressing kisses around my face. "But, I can't have you there. You can stay here. I want you to use my house while I'm gone. I'll be back mid-December for your due date."

I frown, shaking my head. "I have a home."

"I know, but you have two roommates. It'll be nice to get your own space," he says.

My bottom lip wobbles, and he softens his wary gaze. "I don't understand. I'm so alone here. I spoke to the other girlfriends. They say it's normal for a girlfriend to go too."

The stiffness in his posture actually makes me very uncomfortable. It's because I mentioned the girlfriend word, isn't it?

Suddenly, I get a vivid reminder of his fear. The pure panic on his face saying everything. I just can't work him out. How can someone be so kind-hearted... so giving, yet be so shut off to their emotions?

"Miles?" I say, but he's standing up and crossing his arms to shut me out.

Then he gives me a cold look. "This is for the better. Don't push me on it, Chiara."

"Do you even want me?" I blurt. "Is this me asking too much of you? You're giving me a little and taking it back! It's not fair. It's not."

He runs a hand down his face. "You're pregnant! There isn't just you to think about here. I can't be two places at once. The training days are going to be long. I'm meeting a brand new team who will be put me through several gruelling tests. It's high stress."