CHAPTER NINE

Past

Past...

I stare at the pregnancy stick in my hand. It's positive, as well as the four others littering the bathroom floor. I'm pregnant.

I'm going to be a mummy.

I drop that one on the floor along with the others and stare blindly ahead of me. I'm on birth control. You hear it's not a hundred percent accurate, but those statistics are so low you wouldn't ever believe it would fail you.

Until it does.

There's a million things going around in my head. I'm scared. Anxious. Confused. But, I'm also happy. Incredibly so. How can the miracle of a baby not make you smile?

The door slams in the distance, signalling Miles's arrival back from training. "Chiara, sweetheart? Where you at? I made us a reservation at the crafting gin club place you like in Tealby," he says, coming to a stop when he finds me in here.

"You all right? You look so pale," he says, storming in here, making the floorboards creek.

Then he stops when his feet hit the pregnancy sticks. I can't look away. My brain is screaming at me, expecting the worst, but my heart knows he's a good man and he'll look out for me.

"Chiara," he gasps, slicing his eyes my way.

I gulp. "Yes."

He blinks a dozen times, then shakes his head, lowering to pick up the stick. His chest moves up and down when he brings it up to get a closer look.

Things are tense between us. We didn't talk things through when he got back after his workout. I can't imagine this is going to go down well.

I don't want to rush him, but I'm desperate to know what he's thinking. This will be a huge shock. I know the feeling. It's crazy.

When he eventually looks up at me, there's a lot of emotions staring back at me. Then he's crawling my way and resting his hands on my knees.

"Fucking hell," he says and it forces a laugh from me.

I breathe deep. "I know."

The strength at which he digs his fingers into my skin is bound to leave marks. "I just can't believe it," he whispers.

Four months we've been together. This isn't exactly ideal. We're still getting to know one another. I haven't even met his parents yet.

"You're shaking," I say, stroking his arms.

He takes hold of my face. I don't move, because I can't, not with him this close, looking so scared.

He dips his head and I lose the contact, but he's back soon enough. "We're having a baby?"

I nod.

"This is a lot. I never planned for children," he says, voice cracking.

It's too late for that considering, but I understand. It's going to take a while to absorb, so I sit quietly and just let him be.

He stares hard at the floor. "I should have protected you better. I'm sorry," he says.

I grab hold of his face, shaking my head. "It takes two to make a baby. I should have said something at the time as well."

The tips of his fingernails go into his mouth. "I can't believe I would be so stupid not to use a condom. Fucking hell. I'm a ass grown man."

I don't say anything.

"A baby," he whispers, reaching out to touch my belly. "Our baby. In here."

The softness of his hair is always a lovely thing to run through your fingers. "Yes, our baby."

He pushes back to raise to his feet, reaching out for my hand. My heart skipping a beat when he bends to press a gentle kiss on my mouth. "Come on. I'm still taking you out for something to eat." He waits a beat. "And, I need a drink."