CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

It's cold this morning when we pull the girls out of the car, keeping them tucked into their car seats as we make the tip across the car park towards the hotel

It's cold this morning when we pull the girls out of the car, keeping them tucked into their car seats as we make the tip across the car park towards the hotel. It's finally time to show the babies off to Chiara's work colleagues and she's practically vibrating with excitement. They all make a huge fuss as soon as we step through the doors, the reception staff sprinting over to catch a look.

Chiara beams as she pulls the fleece blanket from Gabriella to start unbuckling her, somehow having the magic touch because she doesn't even lift an eyelid. "Meet my Gabriella."

The women coo, keeping their hands a safe distance away which I'm grateful for. They gush over her beauty, saying she looks just like her mummy. I have to agree there. Both girls are her spitting image.

After she's happy having shown her off enough, she places Gabriella back in her car seat, taking Katie out next to laugh when they fuss even harder.

I fiddle around with Gabby's wooly hat, stroking her soft cheek because it's too precious not to, rubbing my nose all over her face as she searches for my warmth.

There is no comparison to this feeling. Being a dad makes everything else seem small. I'm so proud. Of my babies. And of my beautiful Chiara.

Her chest rises and falls on a big breath. "Daddy loves you, Angel."

Two loud sighs of affection grabs my attention, finding Chiara's work friends staring at me with googly eyes while she just smiles affectionately.

"I'm not embarrassed about it," I say, smiling as they laugh.

There's a constant stream of guilt I can't seem to tamper down, hoping once I can prove myself to Chiara things may get easier.

Chiara can't seem to stop smiling as she secures Katie back in her seat and it's really fucking nice to see.

"Can you stay for a cuppa?" The eldest of the two workers asks.

"Of course!" Chiara says, picking the car seat up by the handle. "I just want to show them off a little more."

The grey haired woman waves her on, sending me a small smile as she looks over this way too. "Yes, you go, and we'll catch up when you're back."

Chiara rushes past me, waving me to follow her. We traipse through the hotel, her shoes clicking against the tile floors when she heads towards the dining hall. A small, chunky guy with thick, jet black hair approaches us. A million dollar smile gracing his pink face.

"My darling, Chiara! How are you precious girl?" he asks, rushing over here to peck her cheek a couple of times.

My girl's cheeks grow pink. "I'm fine, Marlon. I want you to meet my babies!"

"Oh yes," Marlon says, bending with his hands on his knees to peep at them both when I place Gabriella down next to her sister. "Look at them. They're like tiny dolls. Oh and one has some hair!"