CHAPTER SEVEN

Past

Past...

It's been go, go, go all week. I have been putting the hours in at work, doing all the overtime so I can relax this weekend. Miles is taking me to Bath for the R.N. Charity Ball hosted by Sky Network.

It's a pretty big deal, so Miles made sure I had something posh to wear when he sent me to Harvey Nichols for the personal shopping experience. In the end, I chose a floor-length silk gown, in a beautiful champagne colour and an elegant silver strapped sandal to match the envelope clutch bag.

Miles keeps staring at me through the bathroom door from our hotel room bed. I think he's struggling with his cuff links, but I can't be sure because I'm on my second attempt at a winged eyeliner, and this stuff is tense.

"You look absolutely stunning," he says, standing to make his way in here.

I smile as best I can while keeping the line straight on my eye, smelling his sandalwood aftershave from over here. It's going to be hard to keep my hands off him tonight.

The teammates attending rented their black tie outfits from Armani with each of them wearing the customised pocket handkerchief. It's Leicester Tigers colours of green, red and white. The perfect contrast to the black and white.

The outfit isn't the only thing I'll be looking at tonight. Miles shaved his face, to reveal his baby soft skin. When you remove the stubble, it's crazy how fresh-faced it makes a man.

I put the eye pencil back into my makeup bag, and step over to him. We smile as he runs his hands all over my back end, dipping to trail his nose up my neck. I'm so tempted to mess up his neat hairstyle, but refrain because he spent forever perfecting it.

"Thank you." I motion to my dress. "And thank you for this dress. I'll cherish it forever."

He grins. "You're so welcome. I just wanted to run something by you. I'll be expected to give a few interviews tonight. They usually happen at the start of the evening. I put you on the table with the other lads' girlfriends. Is that okay?"

I'm with the other girlfriends?

I nod. "Of course, sweetheart."

"Great." He kisses me. "You'll have fun. The other girls are always accommodating to whoever I bring with me."

I don't know how to take his words. Does he always bring different girls to this thing? Is it known for the others to expect a new face every time?

"Okay," I say, turning back to put more gloss on my lips. "I'll be ready in a second."

Miles walks back into the bedroom to put on his shoes. I add more blush and rub a scented lotion on my arms. I switch off the bathroom light and grab my purse, feeling the nerves settling in.

The downstairs of the hotel is crowded with people, a few recognising Miles right away. We make our way through them, sharing small talk until a guy in a grey tuxedo comes over here to escort us through to the ballroom.