CHAPTER THREE

Present day

Present day...

I spent a lot of time preparing for today. I grilled Miles for hours over Mabel's favourite things, creating a perfect princess world for her.

While Miles is training, I set his sitting room out with pink blankets, paper crowns and fairy lights. Laying crystal gem stones all over his coffee table.

I preorder the new Disney film on his Sky Box, and have some dough sitting in bowls in the kitchen to make homemade pizzas. I even spent half an hour studying ways to make your pizza into the shape of a castle, but with the best intentions, I gave up after video four.

It won't matter because, from what Miles says, Mabel is very easygoing and extremely grateful no matter what it is.

At a quarter past four, she steps through the door in her school uniform, carrying a soft toy while Miles juggles three bags. It's like she packed for a week for a two-night stay.

If she isn't a girl after my own heart.

"Can we stay up past my bedtime tonight, Uncle Miles?" she asks him, having not noticed me yet.

Miles throws me a sweet smile, bending to help Mabel out of her coat. "Of course, sweetheart. No school tomorrow."

That brings a smile to her face when she stares up at him until she catches sight of me. I don't think she knows what to do at first because she stares for a beat or two, simply watching and waiting for me to speak first.

"Mabe's," Miles says, stroking down her back. "This is Chiara."

Mabel's pretty eyes study me harder until she starts grinning. "Hello! You are very pretty!"

Well, if she isn't a ray of sunshine.

I step forward to give her a quick hug, staring down at her when she squeezes me. "Now, you are the pretty one. I love your curly hair and your big, beautiful eyes. And are those dimples I see?"

She goes a bit shy, kind of jogging her feet on the spot until she sees the way I decorated the sitting room for her. "Oh my gosh! This place is gorgeous!"

Oh, the way she says gorgeous is the cutest sound.

"Uncle Miles," she says jumping on the spot, and he's chuckling.

He points at me. "Chiara has spent all day making this special for you."

Our eyes connect, something very close to love shining from him. It sends my belly into a spin. Mabel squeezes my legs extra hard this time. "Thank you. Thank you!"

I bend down to her level, reaching over to get her first present. Two LOL doll eggs. "These are from me. A little birdie said you love them."

She rips at the wrapping paper, squealing so loud her voice breaks. "I LOVE LOL DOLLS," she says, rushing over to Miles to show him.