CHAPTER FOURTEEN

It's impossible to stop staring at my three sleeping angels

It's impossible to stop staring at my three sleeping angels. We all got home early this morning after a week in hospital for our girls who are fighting fit.

"Your neck is going to ache if you keep in this position," I whisper to Chiara who grumbles when I help her out by moving her head onto the other side of the pillow.

Katie, our little baldy stretches, releasing a few sharp squeaks before her eyes zero in on me. I have no words. The love currently crushing into my chest is overwhelming.

"Hey," I whisper on a huge grin, as her unfocused gaze wobbles all over. "Are you getting hungry?"

Chiara is lifting her top with her eyes still closed, motioning for me to help Katie out when she nuzzles for the milk.

I'm in absolute awe of her and how she's taken to motherhood. She's a born natural. Just like I knew. It's impossible to describe the emotions I have within me right now. They're completely consuming.

I stroke back her hair when she winces all of a sudden. "Are you still hurting?"

"Yes," she says in a croaky voice, shutting her eyes tighter. "I can feel it in my scar when they feed on me."

I get up to check on the box of pills they prescribed to see she has to wait another two hours before taking any more.

"Do you want to try move onto the chair?" I ask, wondering if the pressure of her laying down is making it worse.

She moves, but stops when Katie makes a sound of protest. "Okay, little one. I'll stay here."

My hands are hovering over their bodies as I try to still the sharp need to protect them because I'm more than sure I'm overwhelming Chiara. She's either too exhausted or nice to say anything, but I'm even irritating myself.

It feels painful to leave them alone.

"Gabriella is dreaming, I think," I say when her eyelids start twitching, me sitting beside Chiara's feet.

"Awe," she replies, giggling when Gabriella's nose starts twitching. "I wonder what she's dreaming about."

"Milk?" I say and she nods in approval.

"Something like that," she says, and it must be true because as soon as Gabriella's eyes peel open, she's nuzzling for milk too.

I turn at the sound of the doorbell and go collect our McDonald's takeout. Aside from some porridge and half a tuna sandwich yesterday, we've both neglected our stomach's.

The bag rustles when I bring it in here, gaining Chiara's attention. I grab her a hash brown and feed it to her slowly, conscious of the fact she could fall to sleep at any moment.

"Is that good, baby?" I ask her, but she's too busy chewing to answer me. "Chiara?"

She manages to open one eye, letting out the biggest yawn known to man. "So tired."