🛥Docks🛥

Genre: Fluff, Angst (?)

---

It was loud. 

So loud. So many people talking over each other, boat horns, the harsh wind whistling through the air. 

On top of all the dreadful noise, it reeked of dead fish, as well as the fact it was freezing cold from the wind. I hate it here. The docks.

All the salesmen selling fish and bait at the market. People boarding and anchoring fishing boats. Not to mention a good chunk of the people here are criminals.

I grab Zander's hand, pulling myself closer to him. His hand feels warm; comforting.

I don't understand why I, of all people, was assigned with the docks for the school project. Although, who am I to complain? I'm lucky enough my boyfriend was kind enough to come with me, though I'm pretty sure he came out of pity because he saw how scared I was to go alone.

I don't understand how he's so fine with this. We're both wearing expensive, high-brand coats, prancing around here hand-in-hand, at one of the poorest points of the city, loaded with pick-pocketers, sketchy people who would rob us any chance they get. However, there are a lot worse things that could easily happen here, if I ended up alone with the wrong person, or Zander did...

I shudder, my hold on Zander's hand tightening at the thought of something that awful happening to myself or Zander. I'm trying not to think negatively, Zander told me to think happy thoughts, and I'm trying my best.

We finally reach the market, entering a large cluster of people. I squeeze Zander's hand even more, desperate not to lose him in the crowd. I could barely see him, the only reassurance I had was his soft fingers tangled into my own. 

I close my eyes, allowing Zander to guide me through the crowd.

Happy thoughts... Think happy thoughts...

The worst possible thing happens. I can feel Zander's hand slip out of mine. My eyes shoot open, though my boyfriend is out of my vision. All I see are strangers, scurrying around me. I call out his name, though I can't hear anything out of all the chatter over my voice. I say his name again, much louder and more panicked this time. I know it's irrational, my fear of the docks, but I have reason. The incident, 13 years ago. 

Somehow, I allow my mind to trace back to that day.

I was only three years old. My mother took me to the docks to get some fish. She told me to stay close, that there were bad people there. There were. 

I clung to her hand, allowing her to drag me along as I cuddled my teddy bear. We were easily the wealthiest people there, and it showed. We both wore expensive coats and accessories. I had a brand new backpack my mother got me for school.

Once we hit the crowd, I lost my mother. I couldn't see her, and I began to panic and cry, calling out for her. I plopped down onto the ground, hugging my bear, desperately bawling in hopes for my mother to come find me. 

I was just a helpless three-year-old boy, crying for his mommy, surrounded by a bunch of strangers who could care less about me.

Eventually, a woman approached me. She knelt down next to me and said she would help me find my mother. Although my mother said I shouldn't talk to strangers, I was desperate. I allowed the woman to lead me over the edge of the docks, right next to the water. 

She smiled at me, then said she was gonna check my backpack to see if my mother's phone number was in it. I allowed her to take my bag. The only thing inside was my lunch and a wallet my mother gave me, in case of emergencies.