Ten

Karina

I've never seen my father so angry. My mom had took Aria to her room with her dinner, and quickly returned to the dining room.

My father intensely stared at Lux.

"Dad.", Gio spoke.
"Not now, Giovanni.", he spoke in a harsh tone.
"Daddy.", I called him.
"How could you put this family in jeopardy? How could you be so stupid, Karina?"

I tried to speak, but I couldn't find the words.

"Dad, we trust Lux.", Gio said.
"Trust? Where is trust going to get you when she tells everyone about us?"
"I'm not going to tell anyone. Dominic and Karina are my friends. I wouldn't jeopardize their lives."
"You say that now until you're angry or whenever this.", he points between Lux, Gio, and I. "Friendship is over."
"Tony.", Mom said.

He looked at her and sighed.

"Lux, would you give us a moment?"

She nodded and left the room.

"Karina, why would you tell her?", Mom asked me.
"Because I was tired of lying to my best friend."
"How do you know she won't say anything to anyone? She could tell her mom or another friend."
"She has no one to tell. Her mom is dead and her dad abandoned her. We're her only real friends.", Gio said.

I furrowed my eyebrows and looked at my brother.

"She told you that?"
"Yeah, she did. You should listen more."

Before I could respond, my dad glared at me.

"Daddy, please don't be mad at me."
"I'm not mad. I'm just so fucking disappointed in you.", he spat as he stood up and began walking away.
"Antonio!", Mom yelled after him.

He suddenly stopped when he reached the entrance. He turned and looked at me.

"After Giovanni's wedding, I think it'll be best if you and Lux left."
"Dad!", Giovanni yelled.

Dad ignored him and left the room.

"Honey, he's just upset."
"No, he's disappointed in me...He's never told me he was disappointed in me before..."
"Karina, you know he didn't mean it.", Gio said.
"Yes, he did. He doesn't even want me here."

Lux

I paced around Karina's room and waited for her to return.

About 10 minutes later, she came in the room with tears rolling down her face. I rushed over and hugged her.

"Rina, what happened?"
"He hates me. We have to go.", she said between sniffles.
"What?"
"He wants us out of here after Uncle Giovanni's wedding. Pack up your stuff. We're leaving now."
"You're leaving now?", Dominic said.
"We're gonna stay with Uncle Giovanni until after the wedding."
"I'm coming too. I'll meet you at the front door."

We nodded at each other. He left to go pack his stuff.

I hurriedly threw my clothes in my bag. I looked over and saw Karina pulling out a new suitcase out of her closet and grabbing a bunch of winter coats and sweaters.

"Karina, it's September..."
"I don't think I'm coming back for thanksgiving break."

She grabbed leggings, jeans, and boots.

After finishing all of my packing, I watched in amazement at how she managed to fit so much in that suitcase.

I looked up and saw Valeria walk in.

"You're leaving?"

Karina turned to her and glared.

"Why would I stay, mom? You heard him. He's disappointed in me. I am a disappointment lto him, mom. He doesn't want us here. Oh, and thank you for standing up for me in there.", her voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Watch your tone. You know how your father is. He'll get over it."

"No, no, no. I'm so sick of the "you know how your father is", "he didn't mean it", or "he'll come around" bullshit. I've been hearing it all my life. You are my mother. It is literally your job to protect and defend me, and you have failed miserably."

Valeria looked stunned.

Karina grabbed her suitcases and purse before walking pass her mom.

Valeria tried to compose herself in front of me.

"Um...She's j- she's just upset...", she trailed off.

"No, Mrs. Andiacchi. She's disappointed.", I said as I brushed passed her.

I met Karina and Dominic at the front door.

"Did you grab everything?", Karina asked me.

I nodded and opened the door. We piled all of our stuff in the car.

Karina began driving away from her parents' manor.

"Are you okay?", Dominic asked his sister.

"He's never spoken to me that way before...He's never looked at me like that. Like he hated me."

"You know he doesn't hate you, Rina."

"It feels like it. I mean, he told me to leave, Gio."

"I don't know what he was thinking."

Valeria

"What the hell were you thinking?!", I yelled as I slapped his shoulder, making him spill his bourbon.

"Not now, Val.", he said as he wiped the counter.

"They're gone. My kids are gone because they didn't feel welcomed in their own home."

"I didn't tell Giovanni to leave.", he said sarcastically.

I swung my fist at him, but he caught my hand in his as he glared at me.

"Don't try that again, Valeria."
"Or what? You're gonna kick me out too?"

He sighed and poured another drink.

"Val, I'm not in the mood to argue."
"Do you know what Karina said to me before they left? She said I failed her. That I didn't protect her. I didn't defend her. It wasn't until she said that, that I realized she's right. I sat there and did nothing while you were so awful to her. I didn't stand up for her. I need to get out of here.", I said before walking away from him.

He grabbed me and turned me around.

"What are you saying?"
"I want to be a better parent and I think in order to do that, I need some space.", I said as I tried to leave again.
"What? Valeria, wait. You don't have to leave to do that. Please, don't go."

I sighed and looked at him with tears in my eyes.

"I do and you need some space too."
"What, so you think I failed as a dad?"
"Yes, because you are more upset about me walking out that door than the fact that you made your own kids feel so unwelcome that they left and we have no idea where they are. You basically told Karina that she was a fucking disappointment, Tony! She'll never forget that. We need to be better for them.", I said before finally walking away from him.