Thirty

Giovanni

I sat on the bed, waiting for my sister to walk in.

What's taking her so long? There's no way she got lost.

As if on cue, Rina walked in. Her head hung low as she shut the door. When she turned around and lifted her head, I saw the tears running down her face. I immediately opened my arms for her. She climbed in the bed and hugged me.

"I don't know why I'm crying. I know I'm not out to mom and dad, but hearing her say that it's not even worth it really hurt me. I flew to the fucking south for her."
"Karina, I will never know what it's like for you and Kai. You two found each other in a twisted world where there are small minded, disgusting people who think that you two being together is wrong and unfortunately, her father seems to be one of those people. He may have beliefs that I can't seem to wrap my head around, but he's still Kai's dad. You can't just expect her to be ready to potentially give up her relationship with her only parent."

She nodded as another tear fell. I wiped her face and held her tighter.

"Do you really think he'll abandon her?"
"I hope not."

There was a knock on the door.

"Come in!", I shouted.

The door opened and in walked Kai's dad. He eyed Karina in my arms.

"Just checking to see if you needed anything."
"Nope, we're good.", I told him.

He was about to turn to walk out, but he stopped.

"I didn't realize that you two were together."

Karina gagged and I couldn't hide the look of disgust on my face. How could he not tell that we were twins?

"We're twins.", we said in unison.

He donned a look of shock and embarrassment.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't even realize. I remember Kai mentioning that two of her friends finally got together. I just assumed..."
"That would be Lux and I.", I said proudly.

He smiled and nodded, before looking at my sister.

"So, no special someone back at school?", he asked her.

Just your daughter.

"I have a girlfriend.", Rina said boldly. She stared at him, seeking an reaction.

Lux

I smiled in accomplishment as I submitted my sociology assignment.

I stood up and stretched before grabbing my bag, so I could change. I was about to pull out a tank top when I heard the door open.

"We have to go.", Dominic said.
"Why?"
"Karina told Kai's dad that she had a girlfriend. He asked her to leave, so we have to go."

I immediately placed all my things back in my bed and went to go find my best friend. Dominic grabbed my bag and followed behind.

I found her going down the staircase.

"Karina, are you okay?"
"I'm fine. I'm not the one who is a HOMOPHOBIC piece of shit.", she said loud enough for Mr. Parker, who was waiting by the door, to hear her.

"What's going on?", we heard Kai ask as we reached the bottom of the staircase.
"Your friends are leaving.", Mr. Parker said.
"But why? You said they could stay over."
"Because I told him I have a girlfriend."

Kai looked at Karina as she came down the staircase.

"Why would you tell him that?"
"Because I'm not going to hide it anymore. Before I go back to school, I'm making a stop back home. I'm going to tell my parents."

Dominic and I shared a shocked look.

"Look, it's nothing personal, but I don't want someone like you in my house.", Mr. Parker said as he opened the front door.

"Dad!", Kai yelled.

Mr. Parker looked at Kai and shook his head.

"Kai, I'm sorry, but I would appreciate it if your friend left."

Karina clenched her jaw and picked up her bag. She began walking out the door. We followed.

"No, wait. Karina, don't go!", we all stopped and turned around to look at them.
"Kai.", her dad said.

"I love her! I'm her girlfriend, dad. So if she has to go, so should I.", Kai said as she walked to Karina. She grabbed Rina's hand.

"Kai Morgan Parker, go to your room right now. I'll deal with this later.", he said.
"I'll send for my stuff. Bye dad."
"Then go and don't come back."

Kai closed the door behind us.

She turned to Karina with tears in her eyes.

"I can't believe I did that."
"Kai, I'm so sorry.", Karina said.
"No, not about that. I can't believe I finally said I love you and it wasn't to your face."

The four of us laughed.

"I love you, Kai Morgan Parker."

Kai laughed.

"And I love you, Karina Abri Andiacchi."