Sixteen

Karina

"Hi."

I stood there in shock as I stared in the eyes of the man I didn't think would ever speak to me again.

"Griffin, what are you doing here?"
"Can we go to your room?", he asked after noticing my brother sleeping on the couch.

I nodded slowly before leading him to my room.

I sat on my bed as he stood by my window.

"I'm sorry for coming so late. I saw that you were back on your Snap and I know you usually go to sleep late.",Griffin explained.
"It's fine. Griffin, what are you doing here?", I asked again.

He looked around my room. His eyes landed on a picture of him and I on my wall.

"Remember that day? I surprised you with a picnic in Central Park. You told me that no one has ever done something so romantic for you like that. We had our first kiss that day."
"I remember. It was on October 19th. It was cold, so you gave me your hoodie. I still have it."
"You loved stealing my hoodies."
"Because they smell like you.", I looked up at him. He was already looking at me.

"I miss you.", he said quietly.
"I miss you too, Griffin."

He sighed and came over and sat beside me.

"You're not a whore. I shouldn't have called you that."
"You were right, Griff. I cheated on you. I was horrible to you."
"You've made some mistakes. A lot of mistakes actually, but for some reason, I can't let you go."
"Griff."
"I forgive you, Karina. I want to give this another chance."
"I don't deserve your forgiveness."

He grabbed my chin with his hand.

"I love you, Ri. I don't want to be without you again."
"I love you too, but I can't do this.", I moved his hand away.

"I thought you wanted me. What's wrong?"
"I do want you, Griff. I love you so much, but I think I need to be on my own for a little while. I need to take some time and figure myself out. I don't want to hurt you again."

He nodded slowly, taking in what I just said.

"Okay. I understand. I can give you some time."

I smiled at him before resting my head on his shoulder.

"So friends?", I asked.
"Friends.", he responded.

We sat there for a few moments.

"Can friends fall asleep together?", he asked.

I smiled and nodded, and stretched my arms out. He climbed on top of me and rested his head on my chest. He wrapped his arms around my waist.

"I haven't had a good night's sleep in weeks.", he mumbled sleepily.

I stroked his hair with one hand and turned off the lamp with the other. The only light in the room coming from the string lights that hung over my ceiling that was flickering in different colors.

I missed being this close to him. We used to sleep like this all the time.

"I need to tell you something.", he said quietly.
"Yeah?"
"I slept with another girl when we broke up. I know we weren't together, but I felt horrible about it after. I thought it would make me feel better, but it just made me miss you more."

Hearing him say that made my heart hurt. I hate that I made him feel so unwanted and unloved.

"Griff, I'm so sorry. I was so ungrateful. I didn't deserve you."

He looked up at me and stared into my eyes.

"Did you sleep with him after we broke up?", he asked me.