Twenty Six

Karina

Kai was sitting in front of me, stretching out my injured hand.

"Am I hurting you?"
"Nope. I can't feel a thing.", I said with a laugh.

Kai looked up at me with sad eyes before focusing on my hand again.

"Don't, Kai."
"Don't what?"

She looked up at me and struggled to maintain eye contact with me.

"Don't feel bad for me. I can take the pitiful looks that Griffin's friends give me when they see me or when people see the cast and the scar on my stomach whenever I wear a crop top. I can't take it from you. It makes me feel weak."

She nodded and came closer to me. She pulled me onto her lap. I placed my head in the crook of her neck.

"You are not weak. You are not only the most beautiful person I've ever met, but you are also the most bravest and strongest. I look at you and I see the girl who survived something so heinous, but still manages to wake up with a smile on her face."

I lifted my head up and kissed her. Kai wrapped her arms around me and kissed me back hungrily. We were so wrapped into each other that we didn't hear the door creak open.

"Karina, I need t-.", I heard my brother begin to speak.

I pulled away from Kai and saw him staring at us, mouth gaped open and eyes wide.

"Umm...I'm gonna...go.", Kai said before slipping from under me and brushing past Giovanni.

"So, what did you need little brother?", I asked as I patted my bed, telling him to sit down.

He sat in front of me, his eyes still confused.

"I like Kai. We're not together yet. I'm supposed to be taking some time for myself."

He smiled at me and grabbed my hand.

"You deserve someone like her. I'm happy for you."

"What did you need?"

He huffed and closed his eyes.

"Lux left me."

I looked at him with wide eyes.

"That explains her mood the last few days. She's been really quiet and all she does is wear your T-shirts and hoodies around the apartment. I keep asking her what's wrong, but she says she's fine. Did you two have a fight?"
"This was a little more than a fight. Bex is pregnant."

I immediately punched him in the chest.

"You're a fucking idiot.", I spat.
"You don't think I know that. Lux won't answer my calls or text. I don't know what to do."
"Stay here."

I stood up and walked to Lux's room. I banged on the door. I heard her feet shuffling and then the door opened.

I grabbed her hand without saying anything. I led her to my room. She looked at me when she saw Giovanni sitting on my bed. He stood up when he saw her.

"Lux."
"I can't do this."

I blocked her from leaving.

"No, you two are going to sit here and talk."
"Lux, please. I love you. Just tell me how I can fix this."

Lux walked closer to him.

"You can't fix this. You're going to have a kid with her, Giovanni!"
"We don't even know if it's Gio's baby.", I added.

They both turned their head toward me before looking back at each other.

"Why would she lie?", Gio asked.
"We don't know that she did. She could just think it's yours. Let's not freak out until we're sure.", I told them.

"What if it is your baby?", Lux asked him.

He looked at her and stepped in front of her.

"Then I'll be a father, but that doesn't mean that anything has to change between us. It doesn't mean that I'll suddenly fall in love with Bex. I'm in love with you. Not being with you kills me, Lux.", he said as he wrapped his arms around her.

I felt my eyes water. I smiled at my brother and best friend.

Lux wrapped her arms around him and pulled him closer.

"I'm in love with you too, Dominic."

I slowly backed out of my room to give them some privacy before heading to Kai's. I walked right in to see her lying on her bed. She was watching TikTok's. I climbed on the bed and snuggled up to her.

"Everything okay?"

I nodded and played with her necklaces.

"Giovanni possibly has a child on the way. Lux kinda freaked out on him."
"Understandable."

She looked down at me and kissed my nose.

"Do you want kids?", I asked her.
"I don't know. I never thought kids would happen for me. I mean, I know I can adopt, but I didn't think I would have someone to do that with."
"I would adopt a kid with you."

She giggled and held my face.

"Let's start with something a little smaller. How about a dog?"
"I've always wanted a puppy. My dad hates dogs, so we couldn't have one. I always said I would get a Labrador Retriever and name him Charlie."

She smiled at me and pushed a strand of hair behind my ear.

"You're so cute.", she said.
"I know.", I said before pecking her lips.

"What did you tell Giovanni after he saw us?"
"I told him that I liked you. That we're not together yet, but we'll get there."
"We will.", she said as she rested her forehead against mine.