Thirty Two

Karina

I stared at the X-ray of my hand. I tried to focus on what Dr. Mongo was saying, but I couldn't.

I just kept looking at the slightly deformed skeleton of my hand.

"Miss Andiacchi?"

I looked up at the tall woman. She had a very concerned look on her face.

"Hmm?"
"Karina, have you been listening? I said that your hand is recovering very nicely. Are you starting to regain any feeling to your hand?"
"Yes, but I still can't really move my fingers like I used to."
"That'll come in time. You just have to be patient."
"I'm so tired of being patient. I've been patient, Doc."

Dr. Mongo sighed and sat beside me.

Dr. Mongo and I have gotten really close ever since I started seeing her. Sometimes, I call her my New York Mom because she always treats like I'm her daughter.

"Have you been going to your group meetings?"
"Every week."
"Have you talked to anyone about these frustrations?"
"Not really. I've been trying to focus on the positive."
"You mean focus on what you think everyone wants to hear."

I sighed and nodded.

"Karina, we've talked about this. You can't just focus on the good. The bad is just as important. You went through a very traumatic experience. Your mental pain is just as important as the physical."

I nodded and looked back at the x-ray.

"Will my hand ever be back to normal?"
"Of course, it will. Honestly, you're halfway there. Your hand is recovering at an remarkable pace."
"It doesn't feel that remarkable. It's almost been four months. Every Thanksgiving, my family sits around the table and tells everyone what they're grateful for. Do you know how hard it was to find something to be grateful for when I could barely pick up my fork with this hand?"
"What did you say?"
"I said that I was grateful that my psycho ex boyfriend didn't succeed in killing me...The table kinda got quiet after that."

Dr. M looked at me and shook her head.

"Karina, you don't realize how fortunate you are. You survived. You come from a great home. You have a great family. You have amazing friends and an amazing girlfriend who loves and cares about you."

"I had an amazing girlfriend who loved and cared about me.", I corrected her.

She looked at me in shock.

"What do you mean? What happened to you and Kai?"
"Kai spent Thanksgiving with my family. That's what happened."

3 weeks ago

"Are you sure it's alright that I'm crashing your family's Thanksgiving?", Kai asked me as I pulled up to my parents house. We both took off our seatbelts.

"Kai, my parents love you. They insisted that you spend the holiday with us."

A smile appeared on her face before she grabbed my hand. I reached over and grabbed her face and pulled her towards me. I kissed her gently. She kissed back hungrily. She eventually ended up in my lap. I tightly held her as I deepened the kiss.

A knock on the window made us jump apart.

We both turned to see my brother and Lux standing there.

I sighed and opened my door. Kai climbed back to the passenger side and opened her door.

"In mom and dad's driveway?!", Gio began to scold us.