Twenty Seven

Karina

I stared at the long strands of brown hair in my hands. I twirled them around in my fingers before letting them fall to the floor. I powered the razor back up and shaved the next section.

"Babe, what's that no-"

I looked in the mirror and saw Kai standing behind me.

"What did you do?", she asked, her eyes wide.
"Did you know I've never had an haircut in my life? I've always had the same basic, boring brown hair. I wanted to go blonde in high school, but my parents said no. I've always loved blonde hair.", I said as more hair fell.
"I can't believe you're cutting it all off."

I turned the razor off and set it down. I turned around and looked at her.

"You don't like it. I look ugly, don't I?"

She walked closer to me and grabbed my chin.

"Honey, it's not possible for you to look ugly. It's just that you've never talked about wanting to shave your head before. It just seems a little impulsive."
"I just wanted a change."
"Karina, are you sure? You'd tell me if something was bothering you, right?"
"Of course."

I pecked her lips before turning around to the mirror and powered the razor back on. Kai walked out of the bathroom.

I swiftly shaved the rest of my hair off. I rubbed my freshly shaven head and let out a content sigh. I felt like I just cut away all of my issues. Like I finally let go of every mistake I've made. I felt free.

"Oh my god.", Lux said said as she walked in.

I turned around and smiled.

"Do you like it?"
"I love it. Kai said you were shaving your head and I didn't believe her.", she rubbed my freshly shaved head.
"She thinks this was impulsive of me."
"I mean, it kinda is, but as long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters."

I nodded and began sweeping up all the hair that was on the floor.

"Can I tell you something?"
"Anything. What is it?"
"I have my first group therapy appointment today. I haven't told Gio or Kai yet."
"That's great, Karina. I'm so proud of you."
"My mom thought this would be good for me."
"What does your dad think?"
"He told me to be careful with what I say while I'm there."
"In other words, don't tell anyone that your family is apart of the mafia."
"Exactly. I know he means well, but sometimes It feels like he doesn't care."

I swept the pile of hair in the dustpan and threw it away.

"You know he cares, Rina. He just has trouble showing that."
"I guess."

Lux patted my back before leaving the bathroom.

I decided to take a quick shower before I had to leave for my appointment.

When I was finished, I changed into a pair of black ripped jeans and a red and navy blue graphic crop top. I slid on a pair of black sandals and put on one of Kai's necklaces.

I walked to Kai's room and went to open it, but it was locked. I knocked on her door.

No answer.

"Kai?"

I heard shuffling behind the door.

"Yeah?", she yelled through the door.
"Is everything okay? Can I come in?"
"Uh...no. I-Im getting dressed right now."
"Oh...okay. I guess I'll see you later than."
"Bye.", she said quickly.

Giovanni

The sterile, clean scent of the room filled my noise.

I turned and looked at Bex laying down on the bed beside me. She was already looking at me.