Episode 22

Drama: Yunlan is treated by the mysterious doctor after Shen Wei kneels in the rain to persuade the doctor to take them in. After the SID investigates the latest cases, Yunlan exchange his sight for the good and goes blind again. Li Qian joins a secret laboratory. Shen Wei uses the hallow to treat Yunlan's sight again. Da Qing regains some of his memories back and attacks Shen Wei when he goes to Dixing with Yunlan. 

"Something happened did it not?"

"I do not know what you are talking about."

Yunlan picked a piece of fish and shuffled it to his mouth. "Back in the office when we were using the hallow. What happened back there?"

Shen Wei did not meet his eyes and took another mouthful of rice to have a reason for not answering.

"You have always warned me to not touch the hallows," Yunlan pointed his chopsticks on the poor man. "Do not tell me it had no effect on you after using it."

"I am stronger than you and can fuse my energy with the one the hallows are made of easily."

Yunlan understood Shen Wei well by now to know the man was lying to him. He sighed and gazed at Shen Wei, silently persuading him to tell the truth. When the other man just kept on eating silently, Yunlan put his chopsticks down. "I am done."

"You had only a few bits," Shen Wei became alerted. "You just went thru a repeated sight lost, you should eat to get your energy back."

Yunlan walked to the fridge to take out a bottle of beer. "I am in no mood to eat when I am being lied to," he said sadly with his back facing Shen Wei.

Shen Wei's heart sunk. This moment reminded him of the time Yunlan was hoping for him to explain his true nature, to admit he is in fact the Black Envoy. And the feeling of betraying his loved one returned to Shen Wei as a slap to the face.

"I-"

"Do not try telling me you have no idea what I am talking about!" Yunlan turned to him, unopened bottle clenched in his hand as weapon. "Shen Wei... I thought we are more than just colleagues. More than just neighbors."

"We are...," Shen Wei whispered.

"Then answer me honestly," Yunlan pleaded. "What exactly happened to you after we used the hallow?"

Shen Wei gulped and shifted his gaze towards the floor. Yunlan learnt to recognize this as Shen Wei feeling shameful for what he has done or unwilling to reveal something. He put the bottle on the table next to the cooling dished with a loud thud. 

"Xiao Wei... I saw the stern smile you gave me, but did not want to bring the attention of others to it, so I said nothing. You were shivering when I took the hallow from you and up until now your lips are not in full color," his voice was steady and soft. "If I put you through so much pain just to get my sight back I apologize."

"There is nothing to apologize for," Shen Wei said, not meeting Yunlan's eyes.

"There is," Yunlan disagreed. "Because you do not see yourself with my eyes. It might be a soft blow to you, but I was scared to see you like that."

Shen Wei lock his eyes with Yunlan's upon hearing the fear in his voice.

"The hallow... took back the power from me," Shen Wei slowly admitted. "I am feeling fine now."

Yunlan had nothing more to require. Shen Wei telling him the truth, or part of it, as disturbing as it might be for him to reveal his pain, was all that mattered to him. Yunlan wanted their relationship to be a honest one. That kind where you are not afraid to share your worries with the other. Yunlan knew he himself was not the type to admit to his own mistakes or show his weaknesses. But he hated it when Shen Wei did those things to him. When he was not honest with him, especially in situations where it all happened because of Yunlan.

Yunlan slowly reached out and took the chopsticks from Shen Wei's hand, placing them neatly next to the plate. The other man looked up to him in surprise. Yunlan did not give him the space for questions as he wrapped his arms around the man's shoulders and buried Shen Wei's face in his chest in a hug. 

"Thank you, Xiao Wei."

Shen Wei's heart swelled with love for the man. He hugged him tight with his arms and immersed himself in this sweet moment they shared. Yunlan saying his name and playing with his hair was enough he needed for recovering after the blow the hallow gave him earlier. 

"You should sit back and eat something," Shen Wei broke the silence.

"You could not wait a few more minutes before breaking the moment could you?" Yunlan was enjoying the moment as much as Shen Wei did.

"I wanted to, but your stomach is enraged," Shen Wei smiled and pulled away. "Come. Eat something." He put a few more pieces of vegetable into Yunlan's bowl. And that simple gesture made Yunlan's eyes filled with tears.

Notes:
To read my re-match of the kneeling rain scene go to my other book called "Guardian Files".