forty-eight.

"I heard from the knight. You took away the sinner."

Boris said, suddenly hardening his face.

The coolness of his eyes would have scared me if I were an ordinary child.

You were given five gold coins and you told him?

I groaned shallowly and rolled my eyes.

I've noticed to some extent since Boris asked to talk to me.

But I didn't want to ask you this directly.

Let's pretend first.

It was better to pretend as if you didn't know as much as possible because you couldn't drive me into a corner without evidence.

I deliberately murmured with a frightened face.

"Um. I don't know what you're talking about."

"If you lie, you will be taken as a bad child and punished by God. Evelyn Monstera."

Boris threatened me with a grim face.

Threatening a kid who's only 10 years old.

Boris seemed to have been in quite a hurry. I said, purposely in tears.

"Boris. I'm scared. I really don't know."

"There's no one here to listen to you cry. Evelyn."

Boris was adamant. A fishy smile hung on his mouth. I don't think he would act nicely.

Boris's behavior was not normal since he dragged me here in the first place.

When I thought my situation might be a little dangerous, I tried to stay upright and keep my head straight.

Up until I came here, I had not met anyone to ask for help.

So even if I somehow run away from this place, I will be caught again.

In the end, I had to break through this situation by myself.

"Miss Evelyn. He is a profane man who trespassed into the temple. You know what happens when you stand up for a sinner, right?"

As Boris admonished, I talked softly.

"I only helped because I knew him from the beginning."

I confessed without a hitch, thinking that he would never let me go back if I kept denying it.

Then Boris let out a deep sigh and swept his hair back.

He seemed to be holding back his anger. A moment later he said.

"You knew him from the start?"

"Mhm."

"How long have you known each other?"

"Why should I tell Boris?"

Boris crumpled at my retort.

He struggled to keep his composure and tried to drive a wedge between Edward and I.

"He's a dangerous man. What were you thinking, introducing him to the Count when he was fired for corruption?"

"As expected, Boris knew Mr. Edward."

"......"

Boris pursed his lips. He made an excuse.

"Yes. I've seen his face a few times before. That's why I'm telling you. You can't trust him."

"Boris. Lying is a bad thing. Can a priest lie?"

"What kind of lie am I telling you!"

Boris replied nervously. The air around him was so hard and cold that I couldn't recognize him.